Taste is good, no aromatics.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tehsumo

Reaction score
I have been brewing for about a year now. I have done extract, partial, and all grain. I have learned a lot and gotten my beers to taste how I want them too, yet I have no aromatics. All the beers smell very similar, like a off water smell with hits of malt.

I use dry yeast primary and pellet hops, and I usually filter the hops out before add to fermenter- which I have tried glass and plastic.

Any ideas?

Try slamming 6 ozs of cascade in the fermentor 5 days before you keg/bottle, that should do the trick.

But seriously, what are you brewing, certain beers don't "smell" that much. Are you looking for a malty smell, try some aromatic malt or munich, Are you looking for a hop explosion, try technique above.

I've brewed stouts, porters, pale ales. The pale ales smell just the same as the stouts. I've done a recipe with a hops at the very end and gotten very little results. I might try fresh hops and see if its that. Just wondering if there was something I was missing.

There are 3 times to add hops that give you very different results. Beginning of the 60 minute boil is for bittering. The long boil extracts the bitter oils.
15 to 30 minutes until the end of the boil will extract some more bitter oils but will add to the flavor of the beer. Added at or very near the end of the boil will leave you with more aroma and will extract very little bitter oil. After your active fermentation is over and you have reached final gravity, you can "dry hop" in the primary or rack to secondary and gain more aroma yet.

The colder your beer, the less aromatics you'll get off it. Try drinking one a bit warmer and see if it helps

Back