Will I Need Camden Tabs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottmd06

Reaction score
My grape wine is fermenting with some second generation SafeAle US-05 and will probably choke out pretty low, so will I need any camden tabs to cut out the possibility of further fermentation or no?

I'm from New Jersey. If you say you need Camden Tabs in NJ, someone is likely to try to sell you crack. However, if you're talking about Campden Tabs, that's a different story...

Oh, and other than being a wise guy, I have nothing to offer on this topic...

Campden tablets are a preservative and antioxidant, so I use them routinely in wines that I rack often or age for a long while. If you're not planning on aging the wine, or racking often, you don't have to use sulfites if you don't want to.

oh i thought the tabs were to cut off fermentation so u can bottle the wine... is that a different type of tab im thinking of.
You need to add Potassium Sorbate if you want to "cut off" fermentation.. Sorbate will not kill the yeast, just make the yeast incapable of multiplying. Apparently, the currently living yeast will continue to ferment the wine, and I don't know how long a yeast critter can survive, so.....

I usually just let the yeast play until fermentation stops, sorbate and then back sweeten if necessary.

As for campden, I use it prior to pitching yeast when using fruit, and when stabilizing (with sorbate), I may use it when bottling, depending on how long I intend to age my wine and depending on the SO2 amounts as measured using titrets (or I just guess).

Alrighty. Im just not familiar with the wine process and I used an ale yeast for this first batch, knowing the yeast would choke out at an abv % along the lines of a malt beverage. Didnt know if I should add anything to it before I rack it into bottles. The fact that the yeast cut off once the abv % got too high to tolerate, means this wine will be a little sweet forward anyway because I know there was more sugars available for them to convert. If I were going to add raisins, should I boil them and simply dump them into the fermenter?

Back