Weldless Triclover Element?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bobby_M said:
I've looked for wholesale sources on elements and have come up empty. In many cases, my price would be the same or even a dollar more than Amazon. I'll keep looking.

I'd buy it at the same price or even $1 more just for the convenience of a complete kit.

Yeah, I'd actually be willing to pay a bit more than the added cost of the element.

The solder-on version is in production right now, due in stock by the end of September. I didn't pull the trigger on the bolt on just yet. I need to prove to myself that the first install wasn't beginner's luck. It held water tight just fine even after a lot of deliberate hosteling of the element enclosure, etc. To be honest, the solder process is easier and way more forgiving. Do it poorly the first time and you can start over without ruining the kettle.

These still on tea k for the end of the month? Got some new kettles and I need to decide between these and dimpling.

Christmas came early! I got them in today but I need to put together the pictures, pricing, etc.. Couple days.

Question... yes or no on bringing in silver solder kits? You know, the flux and solder in one package.

Incidentally, we also got in a new smaller version of the electrical enclosure. Basically the same concept only more compact and it's also ready for bigger cables like 10/3 SJ cord. These are going to be available for 1.5" triclover connections as well as simple weldless element installs (using a locknut/gasket).

Bobby_M said:
Christmas came early! I got them in today but I need to put together the pictures, pricing, etc.. Couple days. Question... yes or no on bringing in silver solder kits? You know, the flux and solder in one package. Incidentally, we also got in a new smaller version of the electrical enclosure. Basically the same concept only more compact and it's also ready for bigger cables like 10/3 SJ cord. These are going to be available for 1.5" triclover connections as well as simple weldless element installs (using a locknut/gasket).

Yes on the solder kits

Question... yes or no on bringing in silver solder kits? You know, the flux and solder in one package.

I say yes on the solder kit, especially since I'm unlikely to need a 1lb roll of solder to install two elements for my eHERMS build.

Also I hope you'll post a video of the process, your other videos have been a big help.

Incidentally, we also got in a new smaller version of the electrical enclosure. Basically the same concept only more compact and it's also ready for bigger cables like 10/3 SJ cord. These are going to be available for 1.5" triclover connections....

Great news! I was just about to email you about the possibility of using larger cables!

:mug:

I was also curious about accommodating 10/3 and posted a question on your web site. I'm definitely interested in a weldless version, although it will be a while managing college bills and cash flow before I can pull the trigger on my electric build.

Bobby,

do you have a diameter for the wire opening in the new smaller weldless versions?

Tim

The solder-on version is in production right now, due in stock by the end of September. I didn't pull the trigger on the bolt on just yet. I need to prove to myself that the first install wasn't beginner's luck. It held water tight just fine even after a lot of deliberate hosteling of the element enclosure, etc. To be honest, the solder process is easier and way more forgiving. Do it poorly the first time and you can start over without ruining the kettle.

The bolt-on version is roughly what I've been wondering about for making an E-kettle for indoor brewing. But since I'm not wanting one of these just yet, here are some suggestions for a bolt-on 2.0 deluxe version, in the hope that they could be incorporated by time I want to buy some ;)

On vacuum vessel like the ones I use a lot at work, this kind of fitting would usually have a ring on the inside of the vessel to spread the pressure from the bolts across the gasket area and to stiffen the wall. It'd also usually have a minimum of 6 bolts, but maybe that's less important here. This would greatly increase the strength of the bolt on fitting, and should make leak prevention easy. The internal ring is a fairly simple part, and could also act as the jig for drilling the holes in the kettle. You might even be able to make it by drilling an appropriate (but large) washer.

Secondly, and much more speculatively, the two parts of the bolt on version could be curved to match a medium size kettle. This would greatly improve the evenness of the pressure on the gasket, prevent distortion of the walls, and allow the fitting to fit to much smaller pots, while also improving the fit on bigger kettles. It would increase the machining cost quite a bit though, as that curve would have to be made separately from the other machining jobs.

The bolt-on version is roughly what I've been wondering about for making an E-kettle for indoor brewing. But since I'm not wanting one of these just yet, here are some suggestions for a bolt-on 2.0 deluxe version, in the hope that they could be incorporated by time I want to buy some ;)

On vacuum vessel like the ones I use a lot at work, this kind of fitting would usually have a ring on the inside of the vessel to spread the pressure from the bolts across the gasket area and to stiffen the wall. It'd also usually have a minimum of 6 bolts, but maybe that's less important here. This would greatly increase the strength of the bolt on fitting, and should make leak prevention easy. The internal ring is a fairly simple part, and could also act as the jig for drilling the holes in the kettle. You might even be able to make it by drilling an appropriate (but large) washer.

Secondly, and much more speculatively, the two parts of the bolt on version could be curved to match a medium size kettle. This would greatly improve the evenness of the pressure on the gasket, prevent distortion of the walls, and allow the fitting to fit to much smaller pots, while also improving the fit on bigger kettles. It would increase the machining cost quite a bit though, as that curve would have to be made separately from the other machining jobs.

I agree with all your points and I'm less likely to move forward with the bolt on version just due to the cost involved. Ballpark estimate for what you describe would be around $35-40 retail. Even the less robust prototype I show in the pics would be around $25.

Anyone capable of making the larger, and then subsequent precision bolt holes should be more than capable of soldering a unit on. That's why I chose to go ahead with the solder flange.

Thank you for the feedback.

You know if you'll be going ahead with an OD threaded version?

Nothing in the works at the moment. One of the downsides to that solution is just how big of a hole you would need to make. If you're willing to make a weldless system, that large, maybe the way to go about it is just make the 1.25" hole and use a 1" NPS locknut. We have a new enclosure that will work with that.

Bobby, will the solder on tri-clover flange only be available in 1.5"?

Bobby, will the solder on tri-clover flange only be available in 1.5"?

Correct, at least for now. I know there are some 2" adapters out there, but I'd assume that people who went that route already already had the ferrule solution sorted out. I don't know, let me know why you would want a 2" version.

FYI, for anyone playing along, the 1.5" TC version is large enough for every element that I've tested fit on, even the ripples.

I jut got the biggest hard on watching this Soldered Tri-Clover flange setup.

-=Jason=-

Bobby,
In the video you show an economy "miniature element enclosure" that screws onto the pot using a lock nut and tephlon tape (at about 5 minutes). I may be jumping the gun, but is this element enclosure available on your website? I only see the enclosure with TC Clamp.

Thanks!

so my next BH order will be as follows

False Bottom
5/8" dip tube
2- solder Tri-Clover adapters
1- Tri clover elment housing
1- solder kit... I used the last bit of my flux and solder with my MLT keggle.

im gonna have to sweet talk the wife into letting me drop some coin on this.

-=Jason=-

Bobby,
In the video you show an economy "miniature element enclosure" that screws onto the pot using a lock nut and tephlon tape (at about 5 minutes). I may be jumping the gun, but is this element enclosure available on your website? I only see the enclosure with TC Clamp.

Thanks!

I jumped the gun posting the video. I do have them here but I just got the large cord grips in like 10 minutes ago so I need to take pics, figure out the pricing and then get them on the site. Look for it by Sunday.

Bobby

anyone else thinking this at the moment?

9e9.gif

See any problems with fitment with this on ~8-9 gallon tanks at 12.5"-12.75" diameter? I'm ready to order too....just not sure how many and if it'll fit.

and +1 on the solder kit!

Ok, solder kits in the works.

I'm still trying get a handle on which pot diameters will work. Of course, any radius is better than none. The flange has a 8" radius so when it's fit to a 13" diameter pot, the side gaps are less than 1/16". When you clamp it together and solder, it will hold no problem. I think 12" Diameter would be my limit on the low end and probably 20"D on the high end. I suppose you could make some mild modification to the radius on the flange with a grinding wheel if you're careful. It's probably not necessary because the kettle walls are plently flexible and they will clamp to the flange with no problem. The solder will hold it all together.

Ok, Bobby

You have just made this Soldier very happy.
Just make sure you have the weldless versions in stock in November, when I get back from this crappy sand box!

Awesome job giving us just what we wanted and asked for, your sir are my hero!

Tim

Are you going to be stocking the 1.5" triclover caps mentioned in the video? I don't see them on your site.

I get paid tomorrow, I was looking to buy 1 Tri-Clover, 1 False Bottom, and 1 Dip tube. do you think I'll be able to order through the website?

-=Jason=-

Ok, I finally got all the pictures taken care of and figured out all the different configurations that are practical to offer. Of course I welcome and appreciate any feedback you guys and gals may have. The Harris soldering kits are on order and should be here early next week.

Here's what the solder-on assembly looks like all put together with a sample element installed. Of course, you'll get a lot more out of it once I finally get around to soldering one on in a video.

http://www.brewhardware.com/rimsherms-parts-93

Back