Reusing Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pericles

Reaction score
My last batch was a Belgian Wit made with WLP410. It's a recipe of Schlenkerla's that I enjoyed and have been playing around with a little. (For instance, I use a Belgian yeast, whereas Schlenkerla uses a German strain.)

I really liked the 410 a lot from previous beers, but it's a platinum strain so. . . more expensive than my usual Nottingham Dry Yeast, and not always available. Because I'm super cheap, I was planning to harvest some of yeast for future batches, but didn't get around to boiling/chilling the water, or sanitizing the containers in time for bottling day. Instead, I just pitched another batch of the same brew on top of the old yeast cake. Now the second batch is fermenting on top of the traub and dregs from the first batch, and the airlock is going like crazy - I thought the neighbor kids were playing video games with the volume up!

Here's my question: can I still wash the yeast after the second batch is done, or is there going to be too much crap in the carboy, or will the yeast be too wild?

Personally, I feel a second generation yeast will be fine to wash and save. Most brewers go for 7 (or more) generations of the same yeast.

Mirabile Dictu! Thanks for the encouraging words. Bottling day is next Sunday, and by THEN I'm sure I can sterilize the tubes and jars, and boil some water.

Back