Ice Bath- what would primary temp be if...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igotworts

Reaction score
Cold fermenting 1056- shooting for 60-62F I'm 48hrs into fermentation and don't want to open it up...
Air temp is 64F
Ice bath temp is 59F (waterline 2/3 up the carboy)
Wet towel covering top
Therm sticker above water line not reading anything...

What do you think the internal temp is in the primary?
:confused::mug:

Is it in glass or plastic? If plastic, an ale pail or better bottle? In other words, how insulated is it from the ice bath?

If your fermenting in glass, the temperature of the glass will be the temperature of your brew, because glass is such a good conductor. It might need a few minutes to register, though. Im surprised your ice water is 59F. I would expect more like 35-40F, so you are probably not registering on your therm sticker because the actual temperature is off the lower scale.

If your brew is in plastic, god only know what the temperature inside the bucket is, possibly as much as 10F warmer than outside of it. But again, if nothing is registering on your therm sticker, its probably because the temperature of the sticker is below or above the scale printed on it. In this case, probably below.

I was nervous about it- so I said screw it and took the temp inside... 60F!! Little surprised, in a good way. I swaped out half the water, added a tray of ice cubes, re-soaked the towel and put two ice packs on the top of the car boy. Hopefully I can fool people with this "maibock style" Dead Guy clone. 1056 is very reliable. :rockin::mug:

Back