Sitting in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumeja

Reaction score
Is there a time limit for it sit there before it goes bad. I had an ipa in the Carboy and it is cloudy still after half a week. I should be bottling it Thursday but I think I should sit a bit long. Any harm? It is clearing alot on it's own though. Maybe it will look good a few days who knows

be patient, as long as everything was sanitary it'll be fine.

I've let homebrews sit in my fermenter for months. Give it some more time. Did you dry hop your IPA?

Let that cake do it's job! Outside of lagers and fruit beers, I never secondary and have left them on for 4 weeks with no issues. My rule of thumb is let it clear in primary - when it's sparkling in there the yeast are truly done cleaning house.

What do you mean you "should" be bottling? Why would you bottle if the beer's not clear to your liking? Yeast cant read so instruction sheets or calendars really mean nothing to them, they have their own timeframes and anything in written form is just a rough guidline, not a bible. You can leave you beer in secondary for years, and many folks do if they're bulk aging, so there's no rush or fear....So let the yeast do their jobs, and when the beer is clear (which is why you racked it to secondary anyway) THEN you can move to the next phase.

If I secondary, I don't even begin thinking about racking the beer until it's been at least 2 weeks in there.

I didn't think it would hurt it but had to ask. There one other thing I did dry hop it with pellets and there I a bit floating, very few bits. I think I should have used Irish moss at the boil but didn't know then. Thanks for the info man I love learning things!

I didn't think it would hurt it but had to ask. There one other thing I did dry hop it with pellets and there I a bit floating, very few bits. I think I should have used Irish moss at the boil but didn't know then. Thanks for the info man I love learning things!

Esepecially if you dry hop you want to make sure it clears up.

I've had much better luck using whole hops (in a sanitized 1 gl. paint straining bag) than w/ pellets. Kind of sucks to have two different types of hops, but moving to the whole-or leaf-hops really opened up the dry hop character for me.

-d

Latest posts

Back