Broken CO2 Regulator! Needs tightened?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madewithchicken

Reaction score
I do my posts from work so I can not provide a pic for this explanation. So I hope I can explain this properly.

I have a leak on my spare CO2 regulator. Look at the part that screws on tank. Leading from the screw part there is a stem that attaches to the actual regulator. Where this stem meets the regulator is where my leak is.

The stem clearly screws into the regulator. I know that it is threaded "left hand." And that is not the issue. How do I get a wrench on the stem? I mean there is nothing a wrench to grab onto.

My only thought is maybe under the tank connection there is something.

Any thoughts?

the stem into the reg is not "left handed" it is "right handed". use a small pair of vicegrips, channellocks, pipewrinch, or plan old pliars, to back the stim out rap the threads with a little teflon tape and put it back in the reg.

Oh, I thought the label on the back that says "left hand" was in reference to the way it turns. If you are sure though I will try again to get it off with vice grips.

+1 on the Pipe wrench and +1 on the Teflon Tape. The fittings in the (used) regulators I got were fitted with thread lock (The red one) and were leaky. I re did them all after spending much effort to get them loose. The Teflon tape did the trick. No leaks and easy to remove in the future

UPDATE:

Not sure about the left or right hand thing yet. But If you pull out the plastic disc in the part that screws onto the tank, there is a nut style end under the disc. I still need to find the right socket.

You beat me to it- Just use an adjustable wrench on the end there. Rather then lefty loosey, it's righty loosey (lefty tighty- watch how you put on the teflon tape).

it could be left or right handed pending on the reg manufacturer

Yep. Many of 'em are indeed left-hand thread. If there is a marking on the back that says "left hand", that's what it is. :mug:

Back