Cold Fermentation - AHS Texas Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSBrewery

Reaction score
I ordered some of the AHS Texas Bock as my first brew. I was planning to start it next week sometime. I just got the package in the mail today and read through their directions (also finishing How to Brew too). The particular yeast I ordered was the White Labs German Bock 833 yeast. I didn't realize that cold fermentation is preferred for this - 50-55 degrees on the AHS sheet (48-55 degrees on the White Labs site). I was planning on fermenting it in my basement, but the temps aren't nearly that low yet here in VA. Suggestions? How do the folks here do cold fermentation - with a fridge?

I recently picked up one of these guys: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_40_366&products_id=1214

You plug the fridge into it, set the temp on it (so for you it would be around 50deg or so), and run the thermometer part into the fridge and you're set! It detects when the fridge goes above or below 50deg, and either turns it off or turns it back on, whatever is needed. Worked well with my recent Oktoberfest!

Back