Fruit / Grape Press ????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombo80

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking of starting to make wine. I have a question about presses. Has anyone ever used a sausage stuffer to crush grapes ?? I saw one that looks like a small stuffer, on a wine supply site. The reason I ask is I have a 30# upright stainless sausage stuffer. In leu of buying or borrowing one, I thought this might be a good alternative. Let me know what you think.

I can't picture it. You think it would crush the grapes without clogging up with the skins, or without crushing the seeds?

I usually crush and ferment for about 5-7 days, then press. Now, I don't have a crusher OR a press, so it's by hand. I've love to find an easier way to do it, so please let me know how this works out!

Sounds like some sort of screw press, maybe with an auger that pushes the fruit to a screen so only juice comes through. In the wine industry they are regarded as very harsh pressing, only suited to cheap high volume wines.

After reading your responses, I think I confused myself. Being a n00b to wine making, I think I figured out the crush vs. press thing.
Here is what I found. The picture isn't real good, but I would guess that the top press plate has many small holes in it to let the juice and air escape during the pressing process. Or, it has a false bottom like in the lauter tun I use for making beer.

press.jpg

That is a version of basket press. I think the inner container is a mesh basket, the liquid would collect in the space between inner and outer container and be drawn off from the tap. You can use them for pressing fresh fruit but they are better used as yooper says, after fermentation.

After reading your responses, I think I confused myself. Being a n00b to wine making, I think I figured out the crush vs. press thing.
Here is what I found. The picture isn't real good, but I would guess that the top press plate has many small holes in it to let the juice and air escape during the pressing process. Or, it has a false bottom like in the lauter tun I use for making beer.

Your photo looks like a newer version of an apple press I have. Mine's mostly cast iron with a sheet metal shroud around the "basket", which is perforated. An apple press requires much more pressure than a grape press. I suppose you could use it as a grape press but you'd likely crush the seeds which is what you want to avoid.

OP_Schriver_1_3_gal_press.jpg

Back