Abbey Dubbel's - Easy to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwi_Jonno

Reaction score
After going to a Belgium Beer Cafe, and having a Affligem Dubbel, iv been inspired to brew one!

Is this easy to brew with extract/specialty grains? Iv only brewed a handful of IPA's and a Porter Brewing at the moment.

Any recipes/tips would be nice. EG: do you use a really long secondary for this style?

If its a difficult one to brew I might wait a few brews. But damn it tasted like a nice style...

Cheers!

Brewing it isn't any different than other ales, it's the waiting that's the hardest part. If you have a 5 gallon carboy you can bulk age it in or a place to put bottles to 'forget' about them, then it should be fine.

I've tasted Dubbel as young as a couple of weeks old, and as old as several years. I would let it age for at least a couple of months.

It's a fairly easy style to brew; the grist isn't complicated, the hops are subdued, the yeast will tolerate - nay, demand - elevated fermentation temperatures for proper ester production.

It's just having the patience to stick it somewhere to age; that's the hard part! :D

Bob

I've tasted Dubbel as young as a couple of weeks old, and as old as several years. I would let it age for at least a couple of months.

It's a fairly easy style to brew; the grist isn't complicated, the hops are subdued, the yeast will tolerate - nay, demand - elevated fermentation temperatures for proper ester production.

It's just having the patience to stick it somewhere to age; that's the hard part! :D

Bob

To me - being patient is having a beer in primary for 3/4 weeks and waiting 4-weeks for the beer to fully carbonate before drinking one!

I'd hate to make a batch, have in secondary for a couple months and it turn out no good. For this style is there any advantage of it being in secondary as opposed to bottle conditioning?

Would say 3-4 weeks primary and then bottle be best or a long secondary?

Cheers. Still haven't thought on recipe just seeing if its worth making and the best way to do one :)

You can certainly bottle after primary fermentation is done, but there's something to be said for bulk aging. I find that it makes the flavors more consistant in the long run. I made a tripel in the end of March that I bottled in May, but still I haven't drunk any of it yet.

Well, a few test bottles :D

I'd hate to make a batch, have in secondary for a couple months and it turn out no good.

It happens. It's going to happen to you sooner or later!

For this style is there any advantage of it being in secondary as opposed to bottle conditioning?

Clarification, really. And the comment that bulk-aging can have a perceptible difference in the flavor progression isn't wrong, either. Flavor development tends to happen in bulk rather more quickly than in bottle, IMO; it has to do with the presence of yeast and the concentrations thereof.

Would say 3-4 weeks primary and then bottle be best or a long secondary?

Yes. ;) There are widely divergent opinions on the subject. I think you're better off racking to secondary and waiting, but that's one man's opinion.

Cheers. Still haven't thought on recipe just seeing if its worth making and the best way to do one :)

It's certainly worth brewing. You can leave it on the yeast cake for a month while you poll HBT on opinions on how to age it. ;)

Bob

I'd hate to make a batch, have in secondary for a couple months and it turn out no good.

It happens. It's going to happen to you sooner or later!

Clarification, really. And the comment that bulk-aging can have a perceptible difference in the flavor progression isn't wrong, either. Flavor development tends to happen in bulk rather more quickly than in bottle, IMO; it has to do with the presence of yeast and the concentrations thereof.

Yes. ;) There are widely divergent opinions on the subject. I think you're better off racking to secondary and waiting, but that's one man's opinion.

It's certainly worth brewing. You can leave it on the yeast cake for a month while you poll HBT on opinions on how to age it. ;)

Bob

Thanks for your answers! I think I'll give it a shot... anyone know a good recipe? The hardest part might be tracking down some yeast thats suitable. We have a very limited range here.

As a side note, I have some pellet hops that are about 5-6 weeks old since opened. They were put straight in the fridge. Are these ok to use, and if so, will I need to add more to get the same bitterness from them? I have BeerSmith I think it can work it out but not sure how?

Thanks for your answers! I think I'll give it a shot... anyone know a good recipe? The hardest part might be tracking down some yeast thats suitable. We have a very limited range here.

As a side note, I have some pellet hops that are about 5-6 weeks old since opened. They were put straight in the fridge. Are these ok to use, and if so, will I need to add more to get the same bitterness from them? I have BeerSmith I think it can work it out but not sure how?

Dubbel is fairly simple. Abbey ales are vehicles for malt character and yeast esters. You want a starting gravity ~1.065 with light bitterness. Little to no hops flavor or aroma. Your hops should have suffered no damage from that storage. Pellets last quite a long time, and 6 weeks isn't going to make any difference.

This is one of the few situations in which I strongly recommend a liquid Abbey yeast from Wyeast or White Labs. Alternately, if you can buy Trappist Dubbels like Westmalle or LaTrappe, you may have success culturing yeast from the bottle(s). If all you can get is dry yeast, the best bet is probably SafAle S-33; it's sort of close.

Below is my version. It's not as tested as some of my other recipes, but it's worked for me.

The extract chosen will have a significant impact. Choose a brand that does not ferment dry. Coopers ferments fairly full-bodied, and should be widely available in Kiwi-land. Amber or dark sugar is key to the style, preferably Belgian Candisugar. If you cannot acquire Amber Candisugar, substitute regular sugar pound for pound and increase the Special B by 2 ounces.

I started First Wort Hopping my Belgian ales because I wanted a slight hops flavor and didn't want to try to accurately measure 1/8 oz. of pellets. ;) I use Willamette lately because I can't get Styrian Goldings or Saaz, and I still have a half-pound of the 2006 crop of pellets in my freezer. Besides, Willamette is a fairly neutral variety.

Anyhow, go search the Internet for more recipes, and buy a copy of Pierre Rajotte's Belgian Ale book. You won't be sorry!

Dubbel de Chien Brun

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.85
Anticipated OG: 1.065 Plato: 16.00
Anticipated SRM: 16.2
Anticipated IBU: 20.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 40 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
5.1 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
10.2 1.00 lbs. CaraVienne Malt Belgium 1.034 22
67.0 6.60 lbs. Coopers LME - Light Australia 1.038 3
2.5 0.25 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120
5.1 0.50 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24
10.2 1.00 lbs. Candi Sugar (amber) Generic 1.046 75

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.25 oz. Willamette Pellet 4.00 20.6 First WH

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale

I've only brewed one Belgian Dubbel. From that experience, I would say that they are simple beers recipe wise, but do require good fermentation control. I let mine ferment around 70 degree ambient temperature (probably hotter in the bucket with fermentation) and, while it is okay, the esters and phenolics are very strong.

I would recommend pitching the yeast cool (in the mid to low sixties) and fermenting the beer around 65 degrees. Many people recommend starting fermentation in the mid sixties and let it rise over the week to seventy degrees. I think fermentation control is the most important thing with these beers, since the yeast will output a huge amount of esters if you're not careful.

Dubbels are also commonly lagered for a few weeks.

I used White Labs 530.

Latest posts

Back