Brewed up NB Shining Star Pale Ale and let it sit in Fridge at 36 for a month...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madbird1977

Reaction score
and to top that its sitting on Dead yeast I think.

Here is the recipe from Northern Brewer:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/ShiningStarPaleAle.pdf

I tasted it and it was not good, soar... so said the hell with it and tossed in some citra hops, two onces.

Well, we'll see I took it out of the fridge and letting it go at room temp(67) and see if the yeast will clean up in a week then moving to secondary to get the yeast and hops out.

Fun fun any bets on how it will turn out? Anything I can do to save it?

Suggestions welcomed. CHeers.:mug:

Yeast in the fridge go inactive; they ferment, but at a MUCH slower rate than normal. Always read the yeast packet and stay within the optimal temperature recommendations, especially during the first few days of active fermentation

If I'm reading your post right and your threw the primary in the fridge after pitching, you may have well killed your yeast and they never got the chance to do anything

Have you checked your FG to see if, or how much, it dropped from OG??

Yeast in the fridge go inactive; they ferment, but at a MUCH slower rate than normal. Always read the yeast packet and stay within the optimal temperature recommendations, especially during the first few days of active fermentation

If I'm reading your post right and your threw the primary in the fridge after pitching, you may have well killed your yeast and they never got the chance to do anything

This is somewhat true, if you did put your fermenter into the fridge straight after pitching the yeast would have eventually gone dormant, you won't have killed them, merely sent them into a peaceful slumber. So, if you allow the temperature of the brew to gradually creep up you could see some more fermentation come into effect.

Okay a little back ground. I brewed this up and let it ferment at room temp for a month then put it in the fridge to cold crash it for a few days...well, we had our first child a few days later and I spaced on this for a bit(month).

I guess I'm wondering how much hurt it will take from sitting in the fridge for a month on inactive or perhaps dead yeast???

Also, I did put the 2 oz of Citra on there will that completely mess things up?

Thanks for any input!

1) Unless it's dark gray, that yeast ain't dead. They're resiliant little sh*ts.
2) How would adding hops to your beer mess anything up?

Warm it up and bottle it assuming the FG reading is where you want it to be. RELAX. This is homebrewing, not brain surgery.

Okay a little back ground. I brewed this up and let it ferment at room temp for a month then put it in the fridge to cold crash it for a few days...well, we had our first child a few days later and I spaced on this for a bit(month).

I guess I'm wondering how much hurt it will take from sitting in the fridge for a month on inactive or perhaps dead yeast???

Also, I did put the 2 oz of Citra on there will that completely mess things up?

Thanks for any input!

Sounds fine. It fermented for a month at room temp, then sat, cold crashing, in a fridge for a month so a lot of the yeast will have dropped out of suspension. If you warm up the batch and give the fermenter a gentle swirl to agitate some yeast back into suspension it'll ensure the best prospects for carbonation, so you'll be good to bottle. I'm not sure how much aroma or flavour the hops will have imparted at fridge temps but I certainly don't think it'll have damaged your beer.:mug:

Latest posts

Back