Aging beer in tequila barrels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFH

Reaction score
A few days ago I noticed Austin Homebrew linked to this article about the Mexican craft beer industry. The part that caught my attention was a quick blurb about some breweries aging their beers in tequila barrels.

This seems like an awesome idea and I've wondered if anyone's tried it yet. What kind of styles would work best with the tequila flavors? My first thought would be something light, like a blonde or possibly a witbier, but I'm still a bit of a novice, so I might be way off.

Anyone try this? How'd it turn out?

KFH said:
A few days ago I noticed Austin Homebrew linked to this article about the Mexican craft beer industry. The part that caught my attention was a quick blurb about some breweries aging their beers in tequila barrels.

This seems like an awesome idea and I've wondered if anyone's tried it yet. What kind of styles would work best with the tequila flavors? My first thought would be something light, like a blonde or possibly a witbier, but I'm still a bit of a novice, so I might be way off.

Anyone try this? How'd it turn out?

New England Brewing Co. Aged some of their gandhi bot IIPA in tequila barrels last year and called it Zapata Bot. Came out great!

That got me to thinking of using an IPA,or amber ale in those barrels. Or,maybe even a dead guy clone. Call it "Mexican dead guy",or maybe even "Dia de los Muertos" ale.?...

That got me to thinking of using an IPA,or amber ale in those barrels. Or,maybe even a dead guy clone. Call it "Mexican dead guy",or maybe even "Dia de los Muertos" ale.?...

I hadn't considered an amber ale. I typically avoid IPAs because I'm not a big hophead, so it didn't even cross my mind.

something w/ rye imo... great idea. wish i had a tequila barrel. and a rum barrel, and a whiskey barrel, and a rye... ah, nebermind (sic)....

Back