First batch done and kegged; GOOD! but high in head and low in carbination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dna_alexov

Reaction score
My first batrch was done last week. I went with the full keg and co2 setup. Was told that I could either carb it by introducing 50-60psi then disconnect co2 and leave for a few days or introduce 30psi and leave it connected for 2 to 3 days OR add 65pis and disconnect from co2 and shake for 30 minutes.

Well, I've tried all of the above and I still have little carbination. I have tons of head (actually too much) but once poured the head is "right" after about 5 minutes. But basically I have no bubbles coming up from the bottle or no new head when you take a drink from the glass (like most store bought beers).

So, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

What psi are you using to push the beer out of the keg? Are you using a picnic faucet or a bar type draft faucet? I am not a kegger but a friend of mine is, and I read a lot. He was having a similar prob. and the pressure in the keg was way to high. There was such a pressure difference when the beer left the faucet that almost all of the carbonation leaves suspension, tons of head but no fizzyness left in the beer. He turned the pressure down to like 3-5psi I believe and had to bleed some off the keg. After a couple more bad pours it started pouring perfectly. I think there is some formulas available somewhere online to help you. You need to know the size of you tubing and the length. It all plays a factor in how the beer pours and how much pressure you need.

To pour I have it at 10psi. Prior to pouring I have it at 30psi as I was told this pressure is good to create carbination. But when I'm about to pour, I shutoff the co2 then release the pressure from the keg and then turn the co2 back on at 10psi and fill the keg at that pressure. I find that 10psi is goodf for pouring, but I still get tons of head but no little bubbles in the beer.

I have a commercial 4-tap beer tower (it is a Molson Candian - all ceramic and brass about 14" tall) with about 7 feet of lines.

Oh, and at present the keg is not refriderated cause I was still waiting for my new key fridge. I just got it today and will transfer the keg into it tomorrow. Though when I first kegged the beer last week, I put it outside for the night along with the co2 at 30psi. I'm in the Vancouber, BC aea and that means it was chilled good.

So what do I need to do to get little bubbles. Is it cause I did not have the keg in a fridge?

Thanks

Put it in the fridge and serve it at lower PSI. Maybe give it a few days under pressure before doing anything.

Put it in the fridge and serve it at lower PSI. Maybe give it a few days under pressure before doing anything.

That's what I would do. I think the colder the liquid, the more co2 can be dissolved in it. I would try serving it lower psi also.

You could also be squelching the pour by not opening up the faucet all the way. If you think it's overpressurized and compensate by not fully opening; you could be the cause of the high head - no carb situation by the way you are pouring. The pours will get better the more you drink out of the keg. Can't really explain but there's too much head on my first 5 or six pints then the other 30 something come out great. (I use 12psi)

-OCD

Force carbonation causes larger bubbles then regular carbobation with priming sugar. i use half the normal sugar (3/8 cup) let the sugar do its thing, and then put it on at 10 psi for a week or two.... Time improves beer. dont rush things.... 60 psi is way too high

My first batrch was done last week. I went with the full keg and co2 setup. Was told that I could either carb it by introducing 50-60psi then disconnect co2 and leave for a few days or introduce 30psi and leave it connected for 2 to 3 days OR add 65pis and disconnect from co2 and shake for 30 minutes.

Connect cold keg at 30psi, shake until you no longer hear co2 entering the keg, usually about 5 minutes. Done. Shaking a disconnected keg for 30 minutes is a waste of a half hour!

dont mess with the high psi carbonation. just hook a newly racked beer up ap 10 - 12 and let it sit for a week.

Back