Wifal Signoff aquired! Basement brew-room/bar.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfduke

Reaction score
First off, please don't get your hopes up. The builds here and in the DIY section are, in most cases, masterpieces. Simply put, I'm a hack. This thread will document and gather suggestions on how to properly equip the space.

First, the room-

photobucket-6251-1364998798009_zps7f0b3d97.jpg

photobucket-6378-1364998828338_zpsb1413f3a.jpg

and an attached, unfinished closet adjoining the room-

photobucket-1426-1364998844916_zpseb21a452.jpg

My plan is to put a large, cast iron farmers sink in along the wall perpendicular to the slider with hot/cold water. I've already got the sink. Additionally, I'm going to be using a single tier 3-keggle propane setup on casters along the far wall. I have an extra 100lb propane tank outside the house that I will have plumbed in for indoor brewing. Obviously, I am on the hunt for a large industrial vent hood for above the brew area, and the walls will be prepped with flame-proof cement board and some sort of wall finish. The carpet will be removed as well- it isn't even glued down.

There is a floor drain in the far corner as well, which is why I pushed so hard for this room in the beginning.

Other items- Keezer with a couple taps, a high-table or high-top countertop for work-space and bartop, tv (the room is already wired).

My concern is with moisture buildup while brewing inside. Does anyone know what I should be looking for in terms of venting, flow rates, etc?

Also, that closet will be turned into a 3x5x5' tall insulated fermentation chamber with the help of an STC-1000, a used air conditioner, and an old reptile heat lamp.

If anyone has more suggestions, I'm all ears. I predict the majority of my summer brewing will be on the patio outside of the slider, so brewstand portability is going to be key. I've already ordered my stand and caster equipment to do so.

progress has been made. Most of the large ticket purchases have been bought, along with some amazing craigslist scores lately.

I also built my single tier brewstand over the past few days-

photobucket-6080-1365555705462_zpsfd64258b.jpg

photobucket-7432-1365555679983_zps85502239.jpg

photobucket-7347-1365555665467_zps21f29916.jpg

All that's left is about 5 minutes of welding (ran out of wire), and the gas plumbing. Everything will be hard plumbed aside from the existing burner connections. I am using 2 SQ14 burners for the HLT and MLT, and 1 hurricane for the boil kettle. It'll be a typical recirculating mash system like Bobby's old setup, with a direct fire mash tun.

The stand should be brewable by this weekend I'm hoping. The room on the other hand, will not, haha. I am currently hanging fireproof cement board over/around the stand area, with 8' overlaps beyond the brewing area. After that, it will be covered with sheets of .060" powdercoated aluminum for additional fire/moisture/spill protection. Also installing a 2000cfm commercial vent hood and a fire suppression system, just for added safety precautions. Everything will be fully above-the-board...

Back