Dang! Missed my gravity again!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallagherman

Reaction score
Tonight is the third time in a row i've been under my pre-boil gravity by about 8 points or so. I tossed in some DME but I hate missing gravities. I use a steel braid in a 10 gal rubbermaid and I think its floating around in the mash. Its at the end of its days, its kind stretched out and warped from getting snagged on my mash paddle. Not to mention I'm pretty convinced my LHBS crushes really corse. I ordered a 12" stainless false bottom for my mash tun from Northern Brewer. Its on the way- didn't get here for this weekend and I HAD to brew! I batch sparge, and I know that false bottoms are best for fly sparging, but I definitely need to replace my SS braid.

Well, at least you're consistent! :D

I'd be willing to bet that it's the crush. If you're batch sparging, the braid/false bottom doesn't really matter. check the grain bed temperature during the sparge to ensure that you get it to 168 degrees- that will also increase your efficiency. That, and the crush are the two biggest issues in my opinion.

+1 on what Yoop said, If the tun drained, it doesn't matter efficiency wise batch sparging if you used a braid, false bottom, or an old sock.

Crush more, get a mill, or run through twice at your LHBS.

Latest posts

Back