Ginger Ale Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattco353

Reaction score
Having brewed A.G ales and stouts for the last dozen batches I recently decided to try a ginger ale and with info found here (and imagination!) used the following recipe:

Pale Ale Malt: 2.45Kg
Munich Malt: 1Kg
Caramel 60: .5Kg

20g Target 12.5% AA (60)
20g Cascade 7.8% AA (15)

White Labs London Ale yeast 1L starter.

I soaked 800g of sliced ginger in 2L water with the juice of 4 lemons + 1 orange, lemon zest, doz. cloves and tsp nutmeg for 24 hours and added 1L to the kettle at start of boil and 1L 45min in. The ginger slices were divided and half added at 30 min in and half at 45min.

O.G was 1.050 (20L)

Fermentation was extremely fast and after 2 days it is now 1.012. Taste I thought was promising but possibly needs to be a little sweeter. Normally I leave my ales and stouts in the primary for 10-12 days before bottling for secondary. I'd welcome advice from more experienced brewers on the following:

1) Would I be as well to rack and leave for a week or two before bottling?
2) If I want to make it a little sweeter, what and how much of it could be safely added to secondary?

Many thanks

Back