PID for a Keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snake10

Reaction score
I have a 15cu chest freezer for my keezer. Also, I bought a cheap tet612 PID controller thinking it will control my temp. Does anyone have a wiring diagram to hook it up and does this need a solid state relay to work the compressor.

I am familiar with Love controllers but not this PID. What does J1 and J2 stand for?

Any help would be appreciated.
Snake10

With the understanding I've been brewing and drinking today;

According to Process Control & PID Technical Notes, for on/off control you need to manually set the P (proportional) band to 0. Looking at the TET612 manual (I have one for my HERMS and absolutely love it) the lowest P value is .10

So I'm thinking if you set the P variable to .1, you will probably get the on/off control you need for a keezer. The J1 and J2 are relay outputs and seem to be set up for alarms. The manual says 3A @ 220V so that should be 1.5A @110V. If your keezer is 1.5A @ 110, go for it. Otherwise you will need an additional relay to avoid an overload.

I've been thinking about doing this myself since the TET612 is so damn cheap on e-bay. I hate to pay as much or more for a simple on/off controller when I can get a PID and maybe us it on the brew rig.

But since I've been brewing & drinking, YMMV. :mug:

wehumble
Thanks,that gives me a place to start. Your right about being a cheap controller and all. All i can say so far is it looks cool and its small. Drink another for me.
snake10

Back