Most vigorous airlock activity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcspanner

Reaction score
OK so I'm sat here listening to my airlock bubbling away in the corner of my TV room and its great to hear the regular bloob....bloob.....bloob every three seconds or so. That's about as fast as any fermentation I've attained (in terms of airlock activity at least).

Anyone had a more vigorous airlock? How many bpm ( bloops per minute)? C'mon I KNOW you've counted.......

Had a high gravity belgian dark strong ale with a blowoff attached and for a few hours it was continuous (no rests between bubbling)

I should have counted... but I didn't with my Johnny Jump Up Cider. It really bubbled like crazy!

I'll have to time my next batch.

:D
I've had some happy yeast munching on my brews.

I racked an IIPA onto a yeast cake from an amber ale and rigged up a blowoff. In the middle of the night it took off like a machine gun and continued that way for about 12 hours. It was seriously loud, could hear it from the other side of the house.

Most recent was last weekend's batch that needed a blow-off tube from the start. After about 5 days I was able to remove it and install an airlock. The Star San solution in there was moving enough to foam out the top holes.
Previously brewed batch (the Sunday before that) was making Star San foam after 12-18 hours. More movements per second (at least 2-3 per second).

I always make a starter for my brews (at least one step, more recently getting into 2 and 3 step starters to get the cell count needed from older yeast packs) and oxygenate with pure O2. The majority of the time, I have active fermentation going in under 12 hours. Many times it's REALLY going in under 12 hours. For the little effort it takes (me) to do these things, I'm getting paid serious returns in high grade brew. :rockin:

BTW, fermenting in the basement means I don't hear those airlocks moving. Or the yeast farting into the buckets via blow-off tubes. I do tend to start my batches of mead in the kitchen (this time of year) but I'll probably start those in the basement when it gets warm again.

I've got some pumpkin ale sitting in the carboy that I got done brewing and went to bed.
The next morning the airlock was dry, and the top of the 8 gallon bucket was all wet. I filled it and went to work.
I came home and the airlock was empty and the top of the bucket was all wet again.
This went on for about three days.
Thankfully I had the 8 gallon bucket or I don't know how much I would have lost through a blow off tube.

My bucket's are in the bar / brewing room so I can't hear the bubbles working, well that and I can't hear very well.

I'm amazed. I've been impressed with my modest activity, but mostly make wits and heffe dunkels so I usually deliberately under pitch to stress the yeasties.

I have some stouts planned for the next few months where a starter and large healthy yeast population is planned. That may alter my perceptions then!

Back