How long degasing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find a whip too slow, so I use a drill mounted degassing wand, in very short bursts.

You really have to do it until you don't get CO2 coming out of solution.

I've failed to degas enough, and had detectable CO2 in the finished product. Not enough to cause problems, but enough that I considered it a mistake on my part :)

I have also failed to degas enough and had corks flying around my shop. I guess for a beginner, such as I, that it may be difficult to know how much Co2 could still be in solution despite the amount of degassing I have done.

i have a wand attached to a drill and spun it until the battery died.. that seems to have worked.. they say that you can put a bit in your hydrometer tube, cover the other end with your hand and shake side to side.. as long as it doesn't "pop" too much when you remove your hand you should be good to go

I find a whip too slow, so I use a drill mounted degassing wand, in very short bursts.

You really have to do it until you don't get CO2 coming out of solution.

I've failed to degas enough, and had detectable CO2 in the finished product. Not enough to cause problems, but enough that I considered it a mistake on my part :)

Newbee degassing slightly off-topic question. I do the same as you, short bursts with degassing wand - Wine's have cleared, and taste ok to me - but one person's ok may be another person's vinegar!

Is the CO2 detectable by taste, cork "pop" when pulled, or ? .

I'm starting a combination of degassing with a wand, and bulk-aging for 3~6 months, just to make sure wine is degassed! :D

Fred

Is the CO2 detectable by taste, cork "pop" when pulled, or ? .

Fred

It can be all of them
sometimes you can just see it.
If you buy a gallon of Carlo Rossi (everyone needs another 4L jug) you'll see poorly degassed wine. I don't they ever degassed a batch, some of it is almost fizzy.

Back