Second brew in progress...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig311

Reaction score
So, my first was a Brown Ale and came out great (3 weeks in the bottes today). My second is an Anchor Porter clone. While the first was great, this one is even better. I'm aware of what I'm doing, not so damn nervous, AND I HAVE HOMEBREW TO DRINK WHILE I'M BREWING!! Steeping grains right now... Wish me luck! :mug:

Can't think of a better way myself. Time to recruit the wife to hold the strainer!! She secretly loves it.

The brewing session went extremely smooth. Wort is in the primary. One possible issue... According to the recipe, my OG should have been 1.069. I took a hydrometer reading in the primary and it was 1.079 and pretty sticky when I tasted it. Any reason to be concerned?

Craig311 said:
The brewing session went extremely smooth. Wort is in the primary. One possible issue... According to the recipe, my OG should have been 1.069. I took a hydrometer reading in the primary and it was 1.079 and pretty sticky when I tasted it. Any reason to be concerned?
Nah...

You just have a bit more (1.3%) potent beer than you planned.

Did you get a full 5.25 gallons?

I ended up with an even 5 gallons per the recipe. It looked and tasted exactly as I would have expected. I suppose can deal with a more potent beer! Thanks. She's bubbling away this morning. :rockin:

Will I need to change anything in my process because of the higher OG? It seems like 1.079 is pretty high and, as mentioned, will result in a 1.3% jump. Any chance I'll have to pitch more yeast? How about adjustments to the amount of primer at bottling time? Maybe I'm just confusing myself...

My thought is that the yeast in there will be plenty and that it will just take a little longer to ferment completely. Once it's done fermenting and the hyydrometer readings level off, I'll be ready to rack over to my secondary. Should I adjust my target final gravity?

Latest posts

Back