washed yeast 11-15-11

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I hope by now the "new" yeast has made some progress, but I gotta say I love how the washed yeast is doing. Yay for old washed yeast revival!!
MEH... enough activity to say it is alive.... pitched both into a KBBA clone last night about 2 AM.

just for experiments sake, this is a vial of trappist ale yeast. I could barely read what type it was from the vial and there was no date on it, BUT I brewed the dubbel way back on Feb1 2011...so this yeast is at least 2.5 years old. Put it on the stir plate last night at about 2AM... took this pic less than 24 hours later. No plans to use it any time soon, just something to do. I am cold crashing it right now.. will decant and build it up and maybe brew another dubbel with it soon.

20130814_232815.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

new yeast in the back.. old yeast in the front. New yeast has a big kraussen yet old stuff has fallen.. no idea what the gravity is yet. Either the old fermented out way faster or it crapped out way early. we shall see.( oh yeah.. I probably had a much bigger cell count on the old stuff.)

Looks to me like we have a new yeast whisperer on the forum! Lookin' good.

I bought a bottle of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout that was old and dusty from a Beer store to propagate some pacman. Amazingly, in three steps I had enough to brew a 1.070 batch of beer.

UPDATE.... just checked gravity on both yeasts... new yeast is at 12....old yeast is at.....wait for it.......20... failed experiment. now any suggestions as to how to squeeze out another 8 points? My idea is to rack the new yeast batch to secondary and oak... rack the old yeast batch onto the yeast cake of the first batch.. obviously I have to be very careful and make sure I do not get it oxygenated.

Back