Russian Imperial Stout Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffdill

Reaction score
Planning on brewing a Russian Imperial Stout soon, maybe for National Homebrew Day this Saturday. I'm mostly a hoppy beer brewer so this is all fairly new to me!

So here are my questions:

1. How do you select the grain bill? Do you like Pale or Maris Otter for the base? And how do you select the other grains? It seems like all the recipes I see have a bunch of different grains in different amounts, I wouldn't even know where to begin except to get the SRM to "black as hell."

2. Are the hops irrelevant? I figure I'll use Columbus for the bittering since I have some extra. Should I add flavor/aroma hops too?

3. Will 2 packets of S-05 (or another dry yeast) be sufficient to ferment out a ~10% beer?

Thanks!

If this is your first complex big beer I would just go with a already formulated recipe and take tasting notes on that. Decide what you like about it and what you don't then look into the ingredients and what they add flavor-wise and make changes that you think are appropriate for next time. This way you are less likely to mess something up on a beer that you need months to age.

Back