reusing yeast that was used in cider for beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovineblitz

Reaction score
I saved some s05 slurry from a cider, thinking I would use it for my next cider... well I was planning on brewing up an IPA in a couple days so went to my yeast bank for some s05 from a beer, and lo and behold I'm out, the s05 yeast is all that's left.

Would it be bad to use the cider yeast? I think there might be a problem in that the juice I originally used was mostly fructose and glucose so I might have "lazy" yeast only suited to that purpose. Do I need to take a trip to the LHBS?

I pitched a 1.058 stout on top of a S-04 cake used for Graff about a month ago, took off like a rocket. Just took a sample and it tastes like stout, YUM! I would think for stronger flavored beers it should be fine, YMMV. Just wash the cake if your really worried about it.

Go for new yeast, s-05 is cheap enough

Yeah I know I really should... but... it's such a pain to get to the store..

I pitched a 1.058 stout on top of a S-04 cake used for Graff about a month ago, took off like a rocket. Just took a sample and it tastes like stout, YUM! I would think for stronger flavored beers it should be fine, YMMV. Just wash the cake if your really worried about it.

At least the graff has SOME of the proper sugars in it. I mean, s05 is pretty badass so I'm sure it'd work, idk if it'd have a weird effect though.

Back