My first lager. Have questions/concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

profarm

Reaction score
I did an AG Oktoberfest last Saturday for my first lager. I made a really big starter (WLP820). I did my first double infusion, 122 for 30 then 154 for 30. I left my starter in the fridge untill I pitched (I only pitched the slurry). It is really hot in south TX right now and I could only cool my boiling wort to about 75 using a IC, 40lbs of ice and huge tub. Then I pitched and put it in the fridge which is set at 52. I got really kruasen and bubbling within about 12hrs...

I have read to cool the wort to fermention temp then pitch, I did not want run the risk of infection. Is there a chance of off flavors? I will do a Diacetyl rest...what can I do to get a drinkable lager? Did I do it right at all?

Thank you

This is one of the many brewing controversies. Some people start it out warmer to get it going, and some say you have to start out at fermentation temp.

I started warm for the couple of lagers I've made and I don't detect any off flavors. But next time I think I'll start it out cooler with a bigger starter, just a preference at this point.

I don't know how much of a diacetyl producer WLP820 is, but I think as long as you do a rest towards the end of fermentation (not after!) then I think you'll be OK.

For my lagers, I cool to about 45 deg. F. first then pitch. As HotbreakHotel said (awesome name!), there are multiple schools of thought on pitching temperature for lagers. I think it depends on the strain used-- if it's a strong diacetyl producer, then a cooler pitching temperature would probably be better.

-Steve

Thanks for the repiles...Steve when you say "towards the end of fermentation", how long is that? I planned on leaving it in primary for 2weeks. Should I keep taking hydro readings?

I believe the general recommendation is to raise the temperature to about 60-65 deg. F. after about 3/4 of the way to the expected final gravity. This allows the yeast metabolism to increase at a time when they are working the most to reduce the diacetyl levels in the beer.

Nearly everything I learned about lagers I read on the HBT wiki: Fermenting Lagers - Home Brewing Wiki

-Steve

Latest posts

Back