fermenting with the help of an immersion heater?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deebee

Reaction score
Hi again.

Seeing as the war office ( swmbo) is againt me brewing again before christmas it means i am likely in need of a sly way of doing things.

I am hoping to brew something stronger in November at some stage. Actually making it in the kitchen isno problem providing i make it whilst she is at work and i start early enough. the problem comes with the fermenting of it. Right nowi use a family room and if i am trying to sneak one in, then this is going to cause a problem. and was thinking of fermenting it in the garage. She never goes in here...

The thing is that there is not hea in the garage and the temp in te winter would drop to around 1-4 degrees plus at an absolute max.

If i were to use an imersion heater in the wort set at say 21 degrees would this mean i am able to ferment in the garage regardless of the heat outside. i could likely insulate the fv in some way.

if this is the case it would make things ok. i would have to transfer the kegs indoors in order to prime etc afterwards but by then the brew is brewed and there is not an awful lot that can be done about it.

can anyone shed some light on howeffective these units are and where they may be bought reasonable ( i am thinking e bay for say a fish water tank heater.

As ever thanks in advance for your help.:mug:

I don't think fermentation temp control is the problem. It's that your woman is telling you when you are allowed to brew and not to brew. I'd skip the fermentation control, the risk of leaving it outdoors, and the whole hiding it from the woman thing and send her some flowers. Then she'll let you brew another batch.

Sorry this doesn't answer a single one of your questions though lol

Have you tried a compromise...
See if she'll let you keep it in a closet or another room if she doesn't want it out in the open.
I keep my fermentation bucket in a small closet in the lower level of our house. Tempreature is controlled a lot better in that small area and it keeps it away from the 2 indoor cats and our quizzative 5 yr old son.

Redbeard5289

I brew outside year-round. To ferment in the winter, I float my primary in a large trashcan full of water with a cheap aquarium heater to maintain the temperature. It works great. The main problem is finding a tropical aquarium heater that you adjust lower than 12C if you are trying a lager. I find that the cheapest aquarium heaters work the best for this.

Hi again.

Seeing as the war office ( swmbo) is againt me brewing again before christmas it means i am likely in need of a sly way of doing things.

I am hoping to brew something stronger in November at some stage. Actually making it in the kitchen isno problem providing i make it whilst she is at work and i start early enough. the problem comes with the fermenting of it. Right nowi use a family room and if i am trying to sneak one in, then this is going to cause a problem. and was thinking of fermenting it in the garage. She never goes in here...

The thing is that there is not hea in the garage and the temp in te winter would drop to around 1-4 degrees plus at an absolute max.

If i were to use an imersion heater in the wort set at say 21 degrees would this mean i am able to ferment in the garage regardless of the heat outside. i could likely insulate the fv in some way.

if this is the case it would make things ok. i would have to transfer the kegs indoors in order to prime etc afterwards but by then the brew is brewed and there is not an awful lot that can be done about it.

can anyone shed some light on howeffective these units are and where they may be bought reasonable ( i am thinking e bay for say a fish water tank heater.

As ever thanks in advance for your help.:mug:

Latest posts

Back