high og beer, do i really *need* a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norcal_nerd

Reaction score
1.082 OG Belgian ale

i am double pitching yeast (white labs wlp550). Do I really need to make a starter? If I didn't, would the only problem be a slow starting fermentation?

thanks

My basic understanding is this: with liquid yeast, it is always good to make a starter. Especially with high gravity brews. There is also something beneficial to adding "happy" yeast from the starter to the wort instead of just pitching straight from the White Labs vial.

But, I am sure someone will be able to give you more specifics.

1.082 OG Belgian ale

i am double pitching yeast (white labs wlp550). Do I really need to make a starter? If I didn't, would the only problem be a slow starting fermentation?

thanks

I would make a starter.

You don't want a slow start, this could help some other contaminant to thrive. You want the yeast to take over asap.

My guess is that, if you're double pitching, you'll be fine.

Of course, I'm a noobie, what do I know?

I've made beers with OG that high and no starter with a Wyeast activator pack. They turned out great.
Quickly looking at the White labs site tells me that a vial has 75 to 150 billion cells. A double pitch is more cells than I got from Wyeast so you'd be okay.

So it is a matter of how ready you are. For us noobs we have to keep things simple so we can have fun while learning. Probably a starter will produce a somewhat better beer, and they aren't hard to make.

On the other hand if you're already kind of stressed about all the details to remember and get right, this is something you can save for later.

Regards

Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

This calculator says that without a starter you will need either a 2 liter starter or 3 vials of yeast without a starter; so, if you want your pitching rates to be proper you should make a starter.

That said, if you don't use one it won't be the end of the world, it might take a day or two to start up fermentation. Which, may cause some off flavors.

Use a starter or pitch 3 vials. Otherwise, you run the risk of stressing the yeast, which could mean off flavors or a stuck fermentation. Just remember, the yeast are your friends, you want them to be happy. :)

I personally would have made a starter with one vial of yeast and not bought the second vial, but that's just me.

Aren't Belgian strains kind of slow movers anyway? I'm no expert but I think I'd at least make a 24 hour 6 cup starter with both vials and try to give it the best chance of success.

Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

This calculator says that without a starter you will need either a 2 liter starter or 3 vials of yeast without a starter; so, if you want your pitching rates to be proper you should make a starter.

That said, if you don't use one it won't be the end of the world, it might take a day or two to start up fermentation. Which, may cause some off flavors.

Disclaimer: I am new to this brewing stuff and what I am about to say is theory based on decades-old microbiology in college.

Per Wikipedia, the life cycle of brewer's yeast is 1.5-2 hrs. That is, the yeast count will double two hours or less. The difference in start time between two vials and three is less than two hours (probably closer to one) under ideal conditions. Even under less-than-ideal conditions (i.e. high gravity), a two-vial pitch should "catch-up" with a three vial pitch in 3-4 hrs. I find it difficult to believe that this will result in a difference you can taste in the beer. Obviously, you don't want to pitch the absolute lowest possible yeast count, but, in the real world, I would have to think you would do fine with 2 vials. Remember, the manufacturers state that one vial is sufficient for a 5 gallon brew.

Back