Nutella Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjohn

Reaction score
Doing my first all grain brown ale this weekend. My initial recipe had way to much specialty malt so I've tweaked it and I'm hoping I'm on the right track now. Let me know what you think.

5 Gallons
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.019
SRM: 21
IBU: 25.3
ABV: 5.5

8 lbs 2 row pale (68%)
1 lb american chocolate 127L (9%)
12 oz american victory (6%)
12 oz english crystal 55L (6%)
12 oz flaked barley (6%)
8 oz special roast (4%)

.75 oz northern brewer @ 60 min
.5 oz willamette @ 10 min

wyeast london ESB 1968

mash @ 154 for an hour

Also I want to get a Nutella flavor into this beer. Has anyone ever used actual nutella in their beer? If so do I put it in late in the boil or should I do secondary?

Thanks.

Seems like you have the chocolate flavor set, why not focus on introducing hazelnut to get the Nutella flavor. Straight Nutella I'm not sure would help... Or hurt?

I don't think you will have much luck using Nutella in its packaged form. If you add it to the secondary you should for sure get a stuck up keg. I am brewing something similar and have used one pound of toasted hazelnuts crushed up in the mash.. I got a very pleasant toasty hazelnut flavor, so that's half the battle. Im now at the point where I need to compliment the toasted hazelnuts with the chocolate. I have used Hershey Special Dark Cacao in the past, but only in a boil, anything after that will give you a bad taste. Im thinking about using a chocolate powder (similar to a Nesquik), but something with better quality.

I would love to hear any ideas or success stories with this beer.

Do not use Nutella in the beer itself. Not only does the oil ruin any head retention, you get a VERY off wang taste that is pretty chemical in taste.

I like this idea! I hope it comes out good for you. Hazelnut is a wonderful flavor. CHEERS!!

Have you started this batch? What about bottled hazelnut like the ones coffee shops use?I am sure they sell organic ones with out preservatives. Or you can find a concentrate oil, although that might lead to wang beer. Here is to a good beer.

Back