Lambic questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
1) What would be the earliest you would add fruit?

2) What is the lowest amount of time you would sit on the fruit?

My dilemma is that I have 1 glass 6.5g & 1 glass 5g, the rest are plastic. If I do primary in 6.5g and than move to 5g I will not have room to add the fruit. If I add it to the primary than that carboy will be tied up for a few more months.

What do you think?

I think it'd be worth it to buy glass one dedicated to lambic. It's going to be in there for at least a year, well worth the cost of a carboy.

I have seen better bottles recomended over glass for lambic
Its supposed to have a werry low O2 permeabilety, instead of none in glass witch can be too little
It was also mentioned that buckets let too much throug

Pivzavod said:
1) What would be the earliest you would add fruit?

2) What is the lowest amount of time you would sit on the fruit?

My dilemma is that I have 1 glass 6.5g & 1 glass 5g, the rest are plastic. If I do primary in 6.5g and than move to 5g I will not have room to add the fruit. If I add it to the primary than that carboy will be tied up for a few more months.

What do you think?

In reply to your questions the answer is the same for both. Six months is the earliest you'd want to add the fruit and the least amount of time you'd want to let it sit.

People have different reasons for the timing they use but mine is relatively simple.

I like the six month mark because by then the critters are more active than the sacc yeast, so you get more complexity out of it. Also allowing it to sit at least six months helps to ensure that all of the fruit sugars are broken down.

Thanks for the answers. I am an apartment brewer so space is an issue. I have 2 glass carboys and 2 plastic bottles, 2 Coopers and 1 generic bucket (not pail ale). Buying another glass carboy is currently not in the plans. I guess I will work around it and use my glass throughout the summer for lambic and use my Coopers to do a few saisons / belgians.

I've not personally done it, but Brandon at embracethefunk.*com is doing a "lambic" with blood oranges that he is adding early on. You might want to look at his blog and ask him a few questions about it.

In reply to your questions the answer is the same for both. Six months is the earliest you'd want to add the fruit and the least amount of time you'd want to let it sit.

People have different reasons for the timing they use but mine is relatively simple.

I like the six month mark because by then the critters are more active than the sacc yeast, so you get more complexity out of it. Also allowing it to sit at least six months helps to ensure that all of the fruit sugars are broken down.

This isn't necessarily true. Cantillon and other producers only leave lambic on the fruit for 3 months.

This isn't necessarily true. Cantillon and other producers only leave lambic on the fruit for 3 months.

^+1

Fruit character fades relatively quickly, so letting it sit on the fruit too long and you lose flavor

I guess that I should have added the condition of "depending on the fruit". Cherries, blackberries and raspberries I like six months as they're a more intense flavor. Against peaches and nectarines which I'll usually just do a month.

Back