Immersion chiller hose fittings/attachment choices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

befus

Reaction score
Basically there seem to be two types of hose attachments to the various immersion chillers regardless of their length/diameter. Either you use hose clamps to attach vinyl hose to the tubing of the chiller which will have a garden hose or faucet adapter on the other end also attached by clamps, or the tubing of the chiller has brass fittings for garden hose attachment soldered in place and you provide the hose itself. Is there a preference between these two as to function or durability?

Depends on your brewing setup. If you're in the kitchen, the clamped hose and faucet adapter probably makes sense. I brew in the garage so I have garden hose fittings on mine.

My only concern about the vinyl hose clamped to the end is that the initial water exiting your chiller is quite hot and will soften the hose. You want to make sure that hose is secure and you don't spray 200 degree water on yourself or bystanders.

Thanks, my utility room actually has a garden hose threaded faucet so Ill run a hose into the kitchen and drain in the sink there, Best of both worlds. :)

Back