Water question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kensington

Reaction score
So i brewed my first batch a little over a week ago (president's day) and i was just going over what I did to see how i thought things went and i realized that i used water straight from the tap to put in my carboy to which i then add the malted and boiled water i had been working with the whole time to. is this a problem? I am on city water here (Burlington, Vermont).

Thanks in advance.

i just brewed my first batch also, but from everything i've heard, if you're waters good enough to drink, it's good enough to make beer.

Are you concerned about water treatment with brewing salts to get a specific water profile, or with sanitation of your tap water? If the former, check out howtobrew.com. It has a great section on water treatment.

If the latter, I'd RDWHAHB. If it's city water it meets pretty much the same standards as bottled water. Boiling it would be super safe, but I don't think you'll have any problems with what you've done.

Back