Ginger-Hibiscus Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lan

Reaction score
Finished up another brew tonight, just starting to ferment in the primary. Here's what I did, what do you guys think? It is supposed to be a warm week over here and I am looking to keep the fermentation temps up as high as possible in order to yield maximum funkiness!

Ginger-Hibiscus Saison

- 2Kg Liquid Malt Extract
- 500g Pilsner Malt
- 250g Vienna Malt
- 250g Munich malt
- 30g Hallertau Hops @ 60min
- 30g Hallertau @ 10 min
- 112g grated ginger root @ 10min
- 50g dried Hibiscus flowers @ 10min
- 6g whole star anise @ 10 min
- 2 cups table sugar @ flameout
- White Labs WLP565 Saison Yeast (pitched at 31C)

Mashed at 68C for 1 hour, added all spices into a grain bag and left it in during the cooling stage until I hit 31C.

Starting gravity: 1.050

It's been 9 days in primary and my gravity is just slightly below 1.010. I've racked into into the carboy and took a quick taste. I noticed more of a banana-like character which may have developed because I pitched at too high a temperature, thoughts?

Also, I've got another ounce or two of hibiscus flowers and was thinking about waiting a week then 'dry-hopping' with them for the last week of secondary. I didn't want to leave them in there for too long for fear they may lend a more vegetal flavor to the beer. Any advice is appreciated!

Back