Gravity contribution of Raisins?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know the Brix or SG of 1 pound of Raisins. Preferrably the Golden variety but anything ballpark will help.

I have tried to google but get a bunch of garbage.

The best I havce found yet is a wiki statement that Raisins are typically 60% sugar (fructose) by weight.

1.060 SG anyone?

Adding one pound of raisins would be the equlilivent of adding .6# of sugar, that is, if the 60% is true. I can't imagine that it's fructose though, because grape sugar is glucose, and it wouldn't really convert itself in the sun-drying process

There is a lot of sugar in there, but how much of it would actually be converted since it is locked up behind the skin?

....but what is the flavor contribution of raisins? If you use them as a secondary fruit (rough chopped as you said), would a bit of raisin flavor come through? I am brewing up a southern english brown w/ toasted oats, and I think a slight touch of raisin flavor would be a perfect addition....

....also, did you say it's better to use the golden variety?

thanks guys

The main reason for adding raisins is for the grape like flavour they give in wine and for the wild yeast on them. They are used in a lot of country wine recipes.
The sugar content can vary greatly from crop to crop.

Roughly 1 cup equates to 4 tablespoons of sugar
or 66g of sugar per 100g

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Raisins, seedless

Google make me look smart. ;)

The main reason for adding raisins is for the grape like flavour they give in wine and for the wild yeast on them. They are used in a lot of country wine recipes.
The sugar content can vary greatly from crop to crop.

Roughly 1 cup equates to 4 tablespoons of sugar
or 66g of sugar per 100g

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Raisins, seedless

Google make me look smart. ;)

I fail at Google. I guess I just don't have the write phrasering.

Back