First Time IPA Homebrew...brown?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrewer12345

Reaction score
hi all-
first post here and just started homebrewing. this is my first time doing an IPA and we used a Brewer's Best Kit. I added a little extra hop to it towards the end of the color is truly what had me questioning it. It was very brown. Will the yeast lighten this up in fermentation or is this just the usual with the types of malts used (caramel was one of them)?

Anyone else ever use this kit and had moderate success?

Thanks!

how long should i leave in primary to ferment? I want to dry hop in secondary but should i leave in primary for 2 weeks then transfer and dry hop for a couple days before bottling?

Unless you are going to reuse the yeast, I would just dry hop in primary. Less chance of getting it infected and it will not hurt the beer having it on the yeast a couple of extra days.

how long should i leave in primary to ferment? I want to dry hop in secondary but should i leave in primary for 2 weeks then transfer and dry hop for a couple days before bottling?

Usually 10 days to 2 weeks in primary is sufficient. However (and you may have already heard this), don't go by kit instructions or airlock activity. Check specific gravity with hydrometer @ 10 days, check again in a couple days. If they are the same, then you're good to bottle.

You can rack to a second vessel to dry hop, but it is not necessary unless you're creating a true second fermentation by the addition of fruit, etc.. The effect of dry-hopping, whether in primary or secondary, is the same, which is to impart more hop aroma. In primary, wait until initial ferm is done (5-7 days), otherwise escaping CO2 will also carry off dry hop aroma. After dry-hopping for 2-3 days, I cold-crash and bottle directly from primary. Racking to a second vessel will help the beer clear better, but may also increase the likelihood of oxidation and/or contamination.

And congrats and welcome to the obsession!

Oh and the color is more than likely tricking you like the person above said. I just brewed an IPA Saturday and it looks pretty dark too but if I hold an LED light up to the edge of my glass carboy then you can see that it's not really that dark.

Usually 10 days to 2 weeks in primary is sufficient. However (and you may have already heard this), don't go by kit instructions or airlock activity. Check specific gravity with hydrometer @ 10 days, check again in a couple days. If they are the same, then you're good to bottle.

You can rack to a second vessel to dry hop, but it is not necessary unless you're creating a true second fermentation by the addition of fruit, etc.. The effect of dry-hopping, whether in primary or secondary, is the same, which is to impart more hop aroma. In primary, wait until initial ferm is done (5-7 days), otherwise escaping CO2 will also carry off dry hop aroma. After dry-hopping for 2-3 days, I cold-crash and bottle directly from primary. Racking to a second vessel will help the beer clear better, but may also increase the likelihood of oxidation and/or contamination.

And congrats and welcome to the obsession!

Thanks for the help- super informative. because there is no spigot on the primary bucket, what is the best way to bottle from there?

and cold crashing is basically just putting the bucket in icy water, correct? and how long would you cold crash before bottling?

thanks everyone, this is a huge help

thanks for all of your help all-

if i dry hop in the primary but it has no spigot on the bucket, what is the best way to bottle from there?

I also added some dry orange peel to the boil and left a very little bit out to add with the dry hops (it's MAYBE a tablespoon), should i add more yeast in this situation or just throw it in?

last question, so if i check the gravity at day 10, but fermentation should be done day 5-7, should i wait until fermentation is complete to add dry hops?

thanks again everyone

thanks for all of your help all-

if i dry hop in the primary but it has no spigot on the bucket, what is the best way to bottle from there?

I also added some dry orange peel to the boil and left a very little bit out to add with the dry hops (it's MAYBE a tablespoon), should i add more yeast in this situation or just throw it in?

last question, so if i check the gravity at day 10, but fermentation should be done day 5-7, should i wait until fermentation is complete to add dry hops?

thanks again everyone

Back