Best yeast for a Russian Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clanchief

Reaction score
I'm working on a recipe for a Russian Imperial Stout right now. This is going to be my first stout brewed. In trying to come up with the recipe, the one thing that I have had the hardest time figuring out is the yeast to use. I see a ton of different yeasts being used in different stout recipes, and I was curious as to the opinions for what the best choice is on something like an RIS.

I've always used WLP007. Good alcohol tolerance of the strain means it doesn't crap out on the higher ABV versions.

This might be blasphemy but if it were me, considering how big of a beer RIS is, and all the roast flavors... I'd pitch 2 packets of dry yeast us-05 for an American ale, or Nottingham or s-04 for English ale yeasts. All the above mentioned will attenuate really well and pitching two packets is much easier than making a massive starter IMO.

Almost always use Wyeast 1084 for everything black. Really great for RIS and Porters/Stouts

The last RIS that I made I used three cups of washed S-05 that I obtained after brewing a porter.

Took it from 1.100 to 1.021.

We use Nottingham for our RIS recipes with nice results. 2 packets in 5 gallons turns it into a volcano!

DAve

I'm partial to Scottish ale yeasts (1728/028). I've been wanting to try the Rochefort strain for a while on these, but haven't yet got around to it. Lots of people seem to like it.

If your looking for a little drier RIS, Id use 3711. I just made one with it and its damn fine beer.

its wide open. what OG are you shooting for? what hops? IBU's? i used WL001 on a big american style stout and loved it. im sure 007 would be great. ive also tasted a wonderful stout made with belgian yeast.

its wide open. what OG are you shooting for? what hops? IBU's? i used WL001 on a big american style stout and loved it. im sure 007 would be great. ive also tasted a wonderful stout made with belgian yeast.

I'm looking for an OG around 1.090 with an SG hopefully somewhere in the 1.010 - 1.012 range. IBU's around 30.

what are you looking for out of the yeast? notty & S-05 are neutral and will definitely help with the high attenuation you're looking for, but such low FG is pretty uncharacteristic of a RIS

I've been wanting to try the Rochefort strain for a while on these, but haven't yet got around to it. Lots of people seem to like it.

just kegged one doing this, tastes awesome so far.

The high attenuation is one of the biggest pieces I'm looking for from the yeast itself in this case. Probably the most from the yeast on this beer.

well attenuation isn't from the yeast alone. to get that kind of attenuation you'll need to mash low n long, not use many specialty malts, and use some sugar no matter what strain you use (except maybe 3711). 2 packs of S-05, mashing in the 140s for 90mins, and 2lbs of sugar should get you close.

The high attenuation is one of the biggest pieces I'm looking for from the yeast itself in this case. Probably the most from the yeast on this beer.

You'll get fine attenuation with Nottingham. I did a RIS with 2 packets of it and it went from 1.100 to 1.020 in less than a week.

Also, bh10, what possessed you to use a Saison yeast in a stout? Sure, homebrewing is about experimenting but it's just an odd choice, if you ask me. I'm sure you made a fine beer but OP isn't talking about wanting to make a Belgian RIS. It's safe to assume he wants a neutral or malt-forward yeast profile, rather than the spiciness given with a Belgian yeast.

You'll get fine attenuation with Nottingham. I did a RIS with 2 packets of it and it went from 1.100 to 1.020 in less than a week.

Also, bh10, what possessed you to use a Saison yeast in a stout? Sure, homebrewing is about experimenting but it's just an odd choice, if you ask me. I'm sure you made a fine beer but OP isn't talking about wanting to make a Belgian RIS. It's safe to assume he wants a neutral or malt-forward yeast profile, rather than the spiciness given with a Belgian yeast.

With such a big malt bill and fermenting at 60-62º you wouldnt know saison yeast was used at all. There a slight hint of fruit and spice, which if you didnt know I used 3711, you'd think there was chinook hop addition. And after oak aging in a barrel you'd never notice it. There's still that big malty, roasted barley taste which you expect from a RIS. Ive given this beer out to a lot of people in my HB and had them guess the yeast, not one mentioned something besides from G.B or an American Strain, actually someone guessed WL Super High Gravity.

I did it b/c I wanted around a 11-12% beer without going nuts on a massive grain bill, where it take a lot more malt with 75% attentuating yeast then it would with one in the 90% range. Add to the fact even though the FG is way low for the style this yeast does such an excellent job of precieved body you'd never know/guess its at 1.007 fg. Another plus, is you dont have a beer that gets you full after 12oz like you would with a beer that finishes at 1.020-1.030. Yes, my RIS a big bury beer, but you could drink a 6pk of it, without getting that, I ate way to much feeling, but I dont recommend drink a 6'er of 11.8% beer. :drunk:

2 packets of the Nottingham? So no starter then? I'm definitely looking for a neutral yeast profile with this one. Let the malts speak for themselves.

With such a big malt bill and fermenting at 60-62º you wouldnt know saison yeast was used at all. There a slight hint of fruit and spice, which if you didnt know I used 3711, you'd think there was chinook hop addition. And after oak aging in a barrel you'd never notice it. There's still that big malty, roasted barley taste which you expect from a RIS.

Sounds really interesting, for sure.

With such a big malt bill and fermenting at 60-62º you wouldnt know saison yeast was used at all. There a slight hint of fruit and spice, which if you didnt know I used 3711, you'd think there was chinook hop addition. And after oak aging in a barrel you'd never notice it. There's still that big malty, roasted barley taste which you expect from a RIS. Ive given this beer out to a lot of people in my HB and had them guess the yeast, not one mentioned something besides from G.B or an American Strain, actually someone guessed WL Super High Gravity.

I did it b/c I wanted around a 11-12% beer without going nuts on a massive grain bill, where it take a lot more malt with 75% attentuating yeast then it would with one in the 90% range. Add to the fact even though the FG is way low for the style this yeast does such an excellent job of precieved body you'd never know/guess its at 1.007 fg. Another plus, is you dont have a beer that gets you full after 12oz like you would with a beer that finishes at 1.020-1.030. Yes, my RIS a big bury beer, but you could drink a 6pk of it, without getting that, I ate way to much feeling, but I dont recommend drink a 6'er of 11.8% beer. :drunk:

So basically you did it for the attenuation properties of the yeast? I have heard that 3711 will not attenuate well in low temperature.

So basically you did it for the attenuation properties of the yeast? I have heard that 3711 will not attenuate well in low temperature.

For the most part yes, it attenuates just fine for me, my basement rarely gets above 62º and Ive never had it not get 90% attenuation.

Haha, just came across this thread.

I just used this strain in my RIS that I brewed yesterday and I cannot wait to try it. I just recently had a beer from Great Divide called Belgian Style Yeti. They make 4 or 5 variations of this beer and I have tried three of them. I could not believe how good the Belgian version was. I liked it so much that I decided I had to brew it. 3711 was the obvious choice for me when brewing this one. With 36 pounds of grain in this 11 gallon batch and the 3711, this thing will truly be the monster it is named after...
:mug:

Hell, if Stone can use a Belgian yeast strain for their RIS, it's good enough for me. No explanation required. It's pretty good, but I'm not a fan of the Anise notes.

Anyone know off hand what yeast Stone used in their Odd Year release Belgian-Anise RIS variant? The anise was a little much for me, but I loved the yeast character.

They wouldnt reveal that information to me when I went on the tour. Nothing was mentioned at all about it other than the company that makes it. They work with White Labs. They said pretty much any attenuative ale strain would work. I think they used a Trappist strain but I have nothing to base that on other than the ABV.

I brewed this up this weekend using Wyeast 1056. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Anyone know off hand what yeast Stone used in their Odd Year release Belgian-Anise RIS variant? The anise was a little much for me, but I loved the yeast character.

They reportedly use the duvel strain for the cali-belgique IPA, but given that I have never tasted their Belgian RIS I can't say really. Bet that's good stuff though.

duckmanco said:
They reportedly use the duvel strain for the cali-belgique IPA, but given that I have never tasted their Belgian RIS I can't say really. Bet that's good stuff though.

It's okay I would say. But there's too heavy of an anise taste for me. I've heard that as it ages that anise mellows significantly. But we're talking a year or more after purchase.

I would use WLP007.

I WOULD NOT use 3711 French saison.

+1

FYI, 3711 is a high attenuating yeast and a little musty for some with a heavy Belgian funk. I've used 3711 quite and bit and love it in Saison, and Biere de Garde but might prefer less spice-funk in a RIS.

2 packets of the Nottingham? So no starter then? I'm definitely looking for a neutral yeast profile with this one. Let the malts speak for themselves.

2 packs of Nott 11g should provide in the area of 400 Billion cells depending on the packet age. Fairly neutral.

Back