I've never had an infection in my beer, for 10 years now.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby_Brew

Reaction score
I brew since 2000. As far as I know I had never had an infection in my beer (yet). How is that possible?
I always read about people with infection after infection, all kinds of off-tastes. I can't understand why? Is it because of bad air in your house? Dirty hands? Poor sanitising?
I use bleach and StarSan for sanitising. I reuse yeast, but I do not wash it. One pack of US-05 last me for about 10 batches. I don't use a secondary. And oh yeah, I guess I drink the beer fast, so there is a quick turn-over :D
Is this why I have never had an infection?

I brew since 2000. As far as I know I had never had an infection in my beer (yet). How is that possible?
I don't use a secondary. And oh yeah, I guess I drink the beer fast, so there is a quick turn-over :D
Is this why I have never had an infection?

Well, in prison we drank straight out of the primary, and real fast like you said, with no problems. Beer would get stolen going to secondary.

We also had some real quick turn-overs, mostly involuntary. And as far as I know nobody got out of there without the infection. I think you were just lucky or spent most of your time in County.

Nothing like a smart-arse newby.

Well on a serious note, I guess, I have pulled some of the most stupid stuff when brewing. The best one involved a really large dog. I have deserved the Chernobyl Reactor beer event many times, and have taken 2 batches behind the barn, only to bring them back in and drink them when they did not hit critical mass. The critics raved. I was just thankful no person was killed.

My kind of funny cousin calls it serendipity.

Whatever.

12 years since I last dumped a batch.

............. I did stop brewing for 7 years in that time.

I've done 97 batches since that one. Hoping to make it 100 without a problem. Hope this doesn't jinx me.

I don't think I've ever had an infection in all 6 years of brewing either (knocking on oak chips). I did have a gusher once and it was quite bitter, but I'm not sure if that was due to infection or a bad recipe. And this is including all of my brewing experience. My first batch was horrible, but it wasn't infected.

this thread is cursed and should have the maloyca (sp?) placed upon it. I said 3 hail marries and quickly engulfed a home brew for our safety

Latest posts

Back