delayed blowoff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i brewed a hazed and infused clone on sunday. pitched about 275ml of very healthy and active yeast that night and left it on the counter with a 3-piece airlock, no blowoff. monday morning nice krausen but not too big. get home from work krausen thicker but still not threatening. tuesday morning its churning hard but still not threatening, same tuesday night. wort temp was a little high so i put in my square igloo cooler to bring the temp down to 67F from 69F. wed morning everything is cool, temp steady. last night airlock activity slowed considerably and temp has dropped 2F. fermentation is slowing down, which is the norm for me after 72 hours. this morning i wake up to yeasty gunk in the airlock, about to drip down the side through the holes. WTF!?! i've never had this happen, especially after the water bath temp has dropped and activity slowed. most of my beers blow off, but always within 24 hours. that's why i leave a freshly pitched carboy on the kitchen counter overnight. if it's gonna blow i can tell the next morning and i put the blowoff on before i leave for work.

anyone experience this delayed blowoff. i could understand if i had a long lag time but this was healthy yeast from a brown ale yeast cake that i'd racked to 2ndary two days before. and that yeast came straight from boulder beer. i already had a big krausen 8 hours after pitching. this might be the strangest thing i've encountered in brewing.

Back