StarSan in Carboy - Do I Have To Toss My Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSar

Reaction score
I'm fermenting a one gallon batch of Belgian specialty ale. I have a blow off tube on which is in a bucket of StarSan. This morning I noticed that some of the solution was sucked into the carboy. Do I need to toss the batch? I know it's fine pre-fermentation but I'm not sure if it's dangerous post- fermentation.

You're good. StarSan is supposed to break down to nutrients for yeast.

I mean, you don't want a gallon in there, it would dillute the beer. But a little is fine.

You'll be fine, depending on how much sanitizer got sucked back in, your beer may have gotten a little diluted, but otherwise no issues.

I highly recommend that you take a listen to the "Sanitation with Charlie Talley" session on the BrewingNetwork (http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Sunday-Session/The-Sunday-Session-03-19-06-Sanitation-w/-Charlie-Talley). I believe that Charlie talks about drinking a pint of the stuff in his interview.

Yeah, I listened to that one a long time ago. This is a REALLY good episode! I forgot which podcast that was on. bookmarking it for future reference.

It's fine. Elevate your carboy on something (I use a milk crate) over the blowoff solution from now on and don't worry about it.

Back