What would be the LEAST citrusy US hop(s)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastricky

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to move into a realm where I can make a fairly high IBU IPA but not get into that grapefruit/tangerine/citrus flavor/aroma.

Now of course I can go English hops, but what would be the US hops that would fit this description?

:rockin:

This turned from a "which american hop" thread into a "absolute mad love for the willamettes" thread. :) I likey

Chinook, Cluster, NB, Willamette, Galena, Glacier, Magnum, Nugget, Warrior, Zeus

I'll throw in Sterling -- herbal and floral, not citrusy to my palate. supposedly a cross between saaz and Mt. Hood.

My favorite pale ale (7.5 gallons in my basement now) uses Sterling for bittering and finishes with wilamette. Yummy.

+ on Willamettes. I picked up a pound for $10 at my LHBS once and used them in pretty much everything I made for a few months. Though, they never gave me that really "hoppy" aroma/flavor I'd expect from an IPA (though, I'm a sucker for citrusy hops).

Rogue makes a great beer called Love and Hoppiness that they call a Pilsner/IPA hybrid... pilsner malt, Saaz and I believe Tett hops but to the IBU levels of an IPA, and pacman yeast. It's delicious.

You could go with U.S. Saaz, very tasty though it's a bit of a stretch to call them "American hops." +1 on Glacier, I also picked up a pound cheap and have loved them in many beers. I made a Glacier/U.S. Saaz Amber Ale that is now my favorite beer.

cluster + willamette makes a nice combo in the rye amber I put together. (In my drop down). The last time I made the recipe I upped the later additions though.

I think of Williamette as an english hop, even though it's clearly from the PNW...it is a great hop, though.

If I wanted to make an American IPA that was not citrus focused I'd probably use Magnum for bittering, and then utilize a lot of Northern Brewer (a piney hop) and maybe mix that with some williamette or some of the other hops mentioned by others....I like NB a lot, though. See Anchor steam beer to get a taste of NB if you're unfamiliar with it.

NB is a great hop, but I don't really think of it as a really American hop; IIRC, it's a cross of American and English varieties, now grown primarily in Germany and the US.

Great flavor, though. It is piney, with almost a hint of mint or something.

I've also used Liberty in place of Hallertau, particularly when you couldn't get a German hop even if you sold your firstborn. It was a non-offending hop, though I just used it for a base bitter, and didn't do anything to really glean a flavor or aroma from it.

Try Crystal hops, very floral and delcious. A guy in my homebrew club made a IIPA with all Crystal and it was quite tasty. Definitely a little different from the typical west coast style hop bomb.

Back