Kegging without a kegorator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBrosBrewing

Reaction score
I'm getting very creamy texture to keged beer.

I'm newish to keging and don't have the space for a kegorator. I've keged for 2 parties and each time I have keged and forced carbed at about 27psi at about 73deg F, per force carb tables i've seen in an effort to put about 2 volumes of CO2 in the beer. Each time the kegs sat on CO2 for 1.5 to 2 weeks before serving, no shaking involved.

During serving I cooled the keg in ice to about 40deg, purged the keg and hooked CO2 up at about 10-12 psi with a picnic tap. The beer flowed well and had good head formation and retention. But, in both cases the beers had a very creamy texture almost like a nitro beer. The first beer was an English porter and the second was an APA.

Any ideas as to what caused the over creamy texture. They both tasted fine. It was quite good in the porter, but I think it subtracted a bit from the APA.

Will

I see that creamy texture with the addition of maltodextine or carapils. I find that I need less of these ingredients for batches that I keg.

Back