Possible Infection Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrhammonds

Reaction score
I just finished brewing a peach wheat ale in which I pasteurized and added 10lbs of peaches to my secondary carboy. After 2 weeks of sitting on the peaches, small white "spider-esque" spots appeared on the surface of the beer (possible Brett infection). Nonetheless, I wasn't too worried; I know brett takes months for noticeable flavor--and a peach wheat is supposed to be tart and complex anyway. No worries. Fast forward to the present.

I used the same carboy--rigorously washed it with San-Star as usual, and have used it as the primary fermenter for my Imperial Red Ale. I'm worried because, it's been 10 days and while fermentation seems to have subsided considerably, there are small small tiny bubbles rising to the surface and collecting. I checked the gravity and it is .012. I'm worried I may have an infection in this Imperial Red. So.. thoughts? Are these bubbles evidence of infection? What plan of action should I take next? AND do I need to throw away my 6.5 gallon glass carboy? Or use another means of sanitation?
Any help would be quite helpful. Thanks!

It is too early to worry. Do you use an air lock?

Constant never ending air lock activity would indicate an infection to me. (for a month or longer)

I had a large amount of offgassing following a long fermentation. Perhaps it's just offgassing?

How does the beer taste?

The beer tastes fine right now (.013 -ish gravity). I'm just afraid that it will continue bubbling past this. The "gassing" appears much more intense than other big beers I've brewed.

It has only been 10 days. It is an Imperial, so I am sure there was a lot going on in there. I would give it some more time and see what happens. Either you're infected or you're not. And honestly, I would be more concerned that if you had an infection you'd be more likely to harbor it in the tubes you use to transfer your wort. The carboy is likely not the issue if you cleaned it properly.

I like to change my sanitizers periodically as it messes up wild yeast and bacteria big time. I used bleach plus vinegar then really rinse well. I follow that up with Star San and no rinse, basically no worries after that,,

Latest posts

Back