Amount of yeats and Porotfloc/whirlfloc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deebee

Reaction score
Hi. I use a packet of 12 grams Safeale 04 for a 25 liter batch of ale.

I am hopin to do a short brew in the not too distant future ( total kegged amount around the 10 liter mark) and have a coulple of questions.

1 seeing this is just under half a normal brew length, do i just use half a pack of yeast or can i pitch the lot( if i do will it give any off flavour or will it just ferment faster?)

2 i have switched to protofloc/whirlfloc with fantastic results. yesterday i got the best ever cold break! If i have a volume of say 11 liters left at the time i need to put the whirlfloc in, should i use half a tablet.. or a whole one.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

For 10 liters, you can pitch the whole packet of yeast, unless you are looking for a strong flavor contribution from the yeast, in which case you should reduce the amount.

I use a whole whirlfloc for batches this size, but it's probably overkill. Half a tablet would suffice, but a whole one won't hurt anything, either.

For 10 liters, you can pitch the whole packet of yeast, unless you are looking for a strong flavor contribution from the yeast, in which case you should reduce the amount.

I use a whole whirlfloc for batches this size, but it's probably overkill. Half a tablet would suffice, but a whole one won't hurt anything, either.

Thanks.

Are whilfloc and protofloc the same thing. I can't get either her but can get protofloc from the uk.

Whirlfloc... any idea who might ship reasonably overseas?

D:drunk:

Sounds like they are the same, or at least similar product. I would stick with what's locally available.

Latest posts

Back