Warm Fermentation Termperature / First 24 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregblatz

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am concerned about the fermentation temperature of my latest batch of pale ale. I pitched the yeast in the mid seventies, and it took off quickly. It took around 24 hours to settle down to 69 degrees.

I'd say that for around 24 hours, it was in the mid seventies.

Currently it is in my basement and I have it in a tub of water with a t-shirt over the carboy, and a fan in the room. This has held it steady at 68-69 since.

Should I be worried?

I doubt you need to worry. Check out the recommended temperature range for your yeast - most ale yeasts say 72 - 74 as the top of the range, but most of these yeasts are fine into the mid-70s. And before I had better temperature control, I had plenty of pale ales go into the mid-70s or even high 70s and turn out fine. You may notice some slight off flavors and you might not. But I wouldn't sweat it too much.

My 2 cents

I used the WLP001
It's temp range is up 68-73 degrees

The reason I am concerned is because I was looking through my BeerSmith and noticed that I made a Pale Ale last July, and it was FUNKY! I used to ferment in the spare bedroom on the main floor, and the temps were probably really high.

This batch has been in the basement from the beginning, but the yeast really took off quick, and took a long time to settle down to under 70.

Maybe I am just worrying about nothing.

I like the "should I be worried" questions.

Of course you should. You should be worried, like the rest of us, at all times. This is stressful business. We worry about everything. I can tell you that you probably didn't want to ferment it that warm, but you knew that already, which is why you asked if you should worry. Which means you are already worrying. So even if I say RDWHAHB, you'll still be worried.

Seriously though, I think that's too warm. But it might be fine. It depends on your goals. 75 isn't the same as 68. That's 100% certainity - no matter the yeast. But beer can be made at each temp. So therefore, it's completely up to you as to whether or not you care.

Good luck!

Well, for the record, the beer was kegged a while ago and the fermentation temperatures did create off flavors. It has a strong fusel or medicinal taste to it. Identical off flavors to the Pale Ale I brewed last July. Will I ever learn?

Thanks for your input, I have learned from my mistake!

FWIW, I get my wort chilled to below fermentation temp before pitching. And take the recommended temp ranges with a grain of salt....most people like to ferment at the low end, or lower, of the ranges that are recommended.

Yeah, it is tough for me. I live in Dayton OH and my basement hovers around 71 degrees all summer. It is tough to keep fermentation temperatures down. I have done 2 batches since and I made sure that I chilled down to 68 before pitching the yeast. Neither of the 2 batches have had any issues even though the ambient temp is 70 degrees. I just keep my fermenter in a big storage bin filled with water and that seems to take any fermentation heat and disipates it quickly.

Can't wait for cooler weather!

If you can't control temperature you can't control yeast. I'd worry about that. Thankfully I don't have too anymore. When I was finally able to ferment at any temp I chose my beers improved dramatically.

Yeah, it is tough for me. I live in Dayton OH and my basement hovers around 71 degrees all summer. It is tough to keep fermentation temperatures down. I have done 2 batches since and I made sure that I chilled down to 68 before pitching the yeast. Neither of the 2 batches have had any issues even though the ambient temp is 70 degrees. I just keep my fermenter in a big storage bin filled with water and that seems to take any fermentation heat and disipates it quickly.

Can't wait for cooler weather!

See my post in the beginner forum. Add 2 liter bottles of ice to your storage bin....it'll control the temp much better. You just have to be consistent about it.

If you can't control temperature you can't control yeast. I'd worry about that. Thankfully I don't have too anymore. When I was finally able to ferment at any temp I chose my beers improved dramatically.

Wise words....I consider fermentation temp control the real key to making great beer. IMO, it's second only to sanitation in importance. What's the use of a great recipe or killer ingredients if you can't control the fermentation?

Back