BeerSmith Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I'm still in the Steeping Grains mode and was looking at Beersmith.

Is there anything in their Mash Profile for steeping? Is it called something else??

I'm at work and don't have Beersmith with me, but I know in Promash they recommend setting the recipe type to partial mash and efficiency to 35% for steeping grains.

Same situation here but, I "think" in the ingredient profile there is a place to show that the grain is steeped. IIRC, it's a drop down sort of like hop addition times.

I copied this from the Beersmith forum:

If you want to add a mash profile to a recipe - just pick the "Choose" button in the "Mash" section of your recipe Note that your recipe type must be "All grain" or "Partial mash" for this to appear.

The best thing to do to match your preferred profile would be to create your own custom mash profile in the "Mash Profiles" database, and then you can just apply that to any recipe you happen to be brewing by using the "Choose" button.

Here's a tutorial, though under the new version you can also enter your water/grain ratio directly which makes it actually a bit easier to build your profile.
http://www.beersmith.com/Help/using_mash_profiles.htm

I hope it helps, Beersmith is a fantastic tool IMO!:rockin:

If you just put the recipe in Beersmith, and choose "extract", you can still have the grains steep step in the brewsheet.

You set up your boil volume, and it'll put on the brewsheet something like, "prepare 2.5 gallons of water for brewing" and then the next step is "steep grains".

It's not a partial mash if you're doing extract with steeping grains, so that's the way I would do it.

Back