Best way to hook up hose to the top of a cooler.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge421

Reaction score
Im in the throws of designing a single tier setup. I am going to only use 1 pump so I will need to batch sparge. Im trying to figure out the best way to plum a hookup for a 1/2" hose into the top of my 10 gallon rubbermaid so that I can just batch sparge by using the pump. Ive seen it done in many sculpture pics but I have never been able to dins what exactly is involved with it. THANKS again!!!:rockin:

If you're going to batch sparge, why not just hard pipe a line up behind the cooler and put a spout on it? You can make the spout removable by putting a union in it.

If you're going to batch sparge, why not just hard pipe a line up behind the cooler and put a spout on it? You can make the spout removable by putting a union in it.

If you're going to batch sparge, just pump the sparge water in through the output of the mash tun. It will also help mix your grains as the water is added, too.

I think he is looking for a method of filling the mash tun with sparge water that doesn't require removing the lid.

If I am understanding you correctly, try coming in from the side near the top so that your lid is not hooked to anything. This makes it easier to take the lid off to stir while the pump continues to operate. A 1/2 in brass nipple through the side of the cooler 1 inch from the top should work, the thickness of the cooler will dictate how long the nipple needs to be.

Linc

The big question is, do you plan on recirculating the mash at all? If so, you'll need some way to return the mash on top with minimal grain bed disturbance... just as you're suggesting. I think just letting the hose dangle in is reasonable as long as it's not shooting water down into the grain. You can also rig up a round "sprinkle" ring juts as if you WERE fly sparging.. no harm in that.

What I ended up doing was drilling a hole in the lid and placing a ball valve with a QD on the top and a 1/2" barb on the underside of the lid with a hose attatched to it. So ill just be able to hook up my sparge water pots line to the lid of the MLT and pour it on top of the grains. Thanks for all the advice!!

What I ended up doing was drilling a hole in the lid and placing a ball valve with a QD on the top and a 1/2" barb on the underside of the lid with a hose attatched to it. So ill just be able to hook up my sparge water pots line to the lid of the MLT and pour it on top of the grains. Thanks for all the advice!!

But if you are batch sparging, what's the point? You have to open it to mx the grains anyways.

Back