Mountain Spring Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitt100

Reaction score
I tried a search on this but didn't really find what I was looking for. What about using true mountain spring water. The spring thaw is near and there is a place a few miles form my home where everyone fills up with mountain spring water. Would it be ok to brew with? Would I need to filter it, boil it, drop some tablets? into it first. Does anyone have experience with fresh mountain spring water? Thanks,
Pitt

pitt100 said:
Would I need to filter it, boil it, drop some tablets? into it first.

No experience with this, but I would certainly filter it before using it. Plus, your making beer with it, so it's going to have to be boiled anyway, so that takes care of that item.

Tablets? I assume you mean campden tablets... I don't think that this is necessary if you filter and boil it. Campden will kill anything living in there, but so will boiling it.

Will campden hurt it? No. Is it necessary? Probably not.

-walker

If you are brewing extract, I'd recommend adding yeast nutrient. For all grain, depending on the style, gypsum to harden the water.

People just drink this stuff, right? No need to filter it. You'll boil the wort to kill all the nasties.

Besides, if you filter it you are turning it into filtered spring water, and quite a bit of that awesome mountain taste will be filtered out as well.

Back