My LHBS doesn't give a $#!t ! New recommendation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman !

Reaction score
We've got a LHBS that has grains and a mill. My usual brew day routine is to figure out the grain bill, call them in the morning and pick up the milled grains in the afternoon.

Me and others have had issues with an employee in this shop before. For one thing they seem to consistently overcharge at the till. I'd say they make errors except the errors always seem to be in one direction !

Anyway, I went to the shop to pick up my grains, which were pre milled, mixed and bagged. The grain bill for tonight's brew is 4 lbs of 2 row, 5 ounces of Crystal malt and 2/3rds of an ounce of roasted barley. I'm at the till and he says that will be $17 please. I say "WHAT ?"

We go through the grain bill and he's given me 2.5 POUNDS of roasted barley ! I look in the bag and its pretty black !

He says wait a minute, I'll fix that. He disappears into the back for like 20 seconds and comes back. I look in the bag and its still black ! He just removed 2 pounds of grains ! Its still got way too much roasted barley in it !

I tell him I'm not brewing with that. He tells me it would make great beer ! Sheesh, whats the use of using a recipe ! He's upset I won't buy it !

Finally he sees I'm not going to take it and he relents. **WE** go back to the grain mill and start over with my order. The owner always takes me back there. So he goes to measure out the 4 pounds of 2 row and he gives me 2 Kgs, less whatever an ice cream pail weighs. So thats probably 4.3 pounds.

Then I asked for the 5 ounces of crystal malt... well... he starts cussing at me wanting so little. I look at his scale and its graduated in 100g increments. No calculator in site ! So he gives me 100g with the weight of the pail. There is now way to tare the scale with the pail on ! 5 ounces would be 140g plus the weight of the pail. I probably got half the crystal I should have.

Next up is 2/3rds of an ounce of roasted barley. He loses it. He goes on and on about how is he supposed to weigh that ? I ask him how do they weigh hops ? He shrugs. I tell him to grind me a small handfull and put it in a bag and I'll weigh it at home.

So then he grabs the paper bag with the malt in it and a bunch runs out the seam in the bottom of the bag. Just like it does EVERY TIME when I pour it into my mash vessel at home ! Its the messiest part of the whole batch, cleaning up after those leaking bags. He probably lost about half a pound through the seam, so what does he do but stick his hand in the bag of miss weighed malt, the stuff with way too much roasted barley in it and put some, who knows how much, into the stuff we just ground !

Sheesh ! Who knows what the heck I ended up getting for malts.

Then he gives me heck for coming in late ! I asked how late they would be open when I called in the order and I told him that I would be coming about 15 minutes before he would be closing, because of my wife and son. I was actually 10 minutes early (25 minutes before closing) and when I got back in the car it was still 10 minutes before closing on the car clock.

I can't believe what I experienced there. I would have told him off except that they are the only homebrew shop in town that stocks malts and has liquid yeast.

I now realize that there is no way I can trust these guys to properly weigh out malts. I have no idea what I actually got for malts. Earlier this year I brewed a cranberry ale. Its delicious, but its way, way darker than what I thought it should be. I'll bet any money it has way more dark malt in it than it should.

I'm really pi$$ed about this. The prices at this shop are terrible. We can buy malt locally for 40 cents a pound. Munich, Vienna, 2 row, wheat, etc. Last week I got charged $2.50 a pound for wheat because its a specialty malt ! Their hops are TWICE the price of another place 300 miles away.

And the thing about it is that this shop has been in business for 24 years. Charlie Papazian has been in the shop and they have pictures with him. But now, they could care less.

And honestly, I have never been any trouble to them. I've called in 7 orders of malts since Christmas. I give them all day to grind them. I've never complained to them about prices. The owner of the shop gave me a sample homebrew he did. I even returned the bottle !

Its time to build a grain mill and buy malt in bulk.

Or just buy online. Sure it may take some time to get your grains but at least you'll know they'll be right. I have no experience in this category personally but someone here should be able to point you to a reputable HBS..

Sorry for your bad experience. Sucks when you find they just don't care.

Geez sounds like the guy workin there was a disgruntled employee. I woulda told him off anyway even if he is the only LHBS around! Remember, the customer is always right! But look on the bright side, at least you got a decent LHBS its more than I have around me! I order all my stuff online.

What you should do is contact the manager or owner and complain. I find (in general, not w/ HBS) that as soon as you mention a manager everyone is at your mercy.

Man that really sucks! The HBS I've got is pretty lame but at least they're nice....

All the hops are out in the open and who knows how long the already milled grains have been there.....they don't even sell liquid yeast!

Good luck!

I can't believe this guy didn't start over from scratch. If he buys in bulk the cost of HIS mistake would be less than 2 bucks. What an a$$hole.

Care to share who this HBS is so others to spare others the pain you are feeling?

Dude -- that sucks. Now I will REALLY never go there again. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Go to Princess Auto -- they have really cheap Corona mill knock-offs for $14.99. Or, just get a Barley Crusher for $150 US. Seriously.

I was at that store a couple of months ago and they charged me $2.50/lb for Hugh Baird's Maris Otter British Pale Ale malt. I was sick of paying that price, so last week I called Canada Malting last week and bought a 55 lb sack of it for $32. That works out to $0.58/lb. The worst part is, Canada Malting is about 5 minutes from that store, and I know he must buy from them! What a rip-off.

Paddock Wood is still cheaper than The Vineyard, even after you pay shipping. I highly recommend you get your grains from them, if you get a mill. Dan's Homebrewing in Vancouver is excellent, also.

Sounds like that employee is just a jerk. I had one today complaining to me about working retail while I was checking out, acting like I was some big hassle for wanting to buy something.

If I acted that way to my customers I would be fired, end of story. Se la vie.

Reidman said:
Or just buy online. Sure it may take some time to get your grains but at least you'll know they'll be right. I have no experience in this category personally but someone here should be able to point you to a reputable HBS..

Sorry for your bad experience. Sucks when you find they just don't care.

I agree, buy it on line. We have a local dump that calls it's self a LHBS, I went once for some yeast, and I will not go back.

Thank Goodness we have 2 GREAT LHBS in Dallas. All the employees are very knowledgeable and will bend over backwards to help you. In fact, 2 days ago I left my friggin grain list at the house. When I got there, they just suggested I grab a few of their books off the shelf and see if I could find something close. Turns out I was making a recipe that the owner loves to make, so he pulled all the ingredients for me.....with a smile... Very sorry to hear there are so many bad LHBS out there.

Care to share who this HBS is so others to spare others the pain you are feeling?

I'm going to talk to the owner first. It was an employee that did this.

Flyguy... tell us how you made out at Canadian Malting ?

I am going to build a roller mill. I've seen the Corona mill at PA.

sorry to hear that. I haven't moved on from the extract kits yet, but the guys (I think they are brothers) at my LHBS are awesome, they will talk to you for hours if they have the time, in fact, I went there for A minute today, and ended up being there for close to 45 mins, just learning, and talking, etc.

See if the owner will consider allowing you to meaure and mill your own grains. Mine does that and I feel much more confident in getting what I'm supposed to. It also offloads some work that the employee(s) have to do. Makes both happier IMO.

greenhornet said:
Man that really sucks! The HBS I've got is pretty lame but at least they're nice....
Yeah...I can't believe any HBS would be so unhelpful.

My HBS sounds a lot like greenhornet's. I'm giving them another try this week. When I go in on brew day and get disappointed with their selection, they always claim that they can order anything and have it in a few days. So, I placed an order for a 50 lb sack of 2-row and some Wyeast liquid yeast. I'm curious to see the results. If they charge me $1.50/lb (their usual charge for specialty grain) for the 2-row, I'm never going back.

Yuri_Rage said:
YSo, I placed an order for a 50 lb sack of 2-row and some Wyeast liquid yeast. I'm curious to see the results. If they charge me $1.50/lb (their usual charge for specialty grain) for the 2-row, I'm never going back.

I would have asked them for a quote before ordering it. I'd give them a call and ask before it arrives. They may have a chance to cancel it if they are not going to give you a discount on a whole sack of grain.

brewman ! said:

I'm very happy with my Barley Crusher.

MyBarleyCrusher.jpg

I buy my specialty grains at the local HBS unmilled and they put each grain in a separate bag. I alway buy a few pounds of each grain so I can brew when I feel like it having bulks base malts, plus a few pound of specialty grains in 8 oz. quantities in FoodSaver Bags.

EdWort said:
I buy my specialty grains at the local HBS unmilled and they put each grain in a separate bag. I alway buy a few pounds of each grain so I can brew when I feel like it having bulks base malts, plus a few pound of specialty grains in 8 oz. quantities in FoodSaver Bags.
Same here (except I usually get my grain online, and my mill is DIY). I love the flexibility and the crush!

brewman ! said:

Canada Malting was great. I just phoned them up, and they sent me a price list by email to choose from. I was most interested in base malts, since a 55 lb sack is the smallest quantity they will sell (and they were more than happy to sell me just one sack). Domestic two-row was $19/sack and British pale malt (Maris Otter) was $32/sack. The sales guy even brought me back a sack from the wharehouse so that I didn't have to drive out of town to pick it up! They were super-friendly and exceptionally helpful.

If there are others here in Calgary that want to do a co-op and split a bulk order for specialty grains, I think that would be a great idea. I can't justify buying 55 lbs of crystal or Munich, but at about $20/sack, I almost can't afford NOT to. Perhaps if we got enough people to split a sack, it would be worthwhile and no grain would go to waste. Any takers?

FlyGuy said:
If there are others here in Calgary that want to do a co-op and split a bulk order for specialty grains, I think that would be a great idea. I can't justify buying 55 lbs of crystal or Munich, but at about $20/sack, I almost can't afford NOT to. Perhaps if we got enough people to split a sack, it would be worthwhile and no grain would go to waste. Any takers?

You bet!

We could also get the Kelowna guys into it as well. Gambrinus is out there and they have a ton of specialty grains. I'll be getting out there this summer, and could bring back a few bags.

Cheyco Libre said:
You bet!

We could also get the Kelowna guys into it as well. Gambrinus is out there and they have a ton of specialty grains. I'll be getting out there this summer, and could bring back a few bags.

Oooh -- that would be great! Anyone else?

brewman ! said:
I'm going to talk to the owner first. It was an employee that did this.

Listen if anyone is worried about having to buy bulk, let me know as I would be willing to share a bag of specialties. Probably a bag of 2 row would be a good size to have.......but may be a little much for other malts.

Nice to know about that store, thanks for the info.

I am looking at the Schmidling Maltmill from Northern Brewer.

Yes, Flyguy let us know what you found out.

Thanks

Wow, I can't believe businesses can stay in business with employees like that. This post really makes me appreciate my LHBS here in Phoenix. I just go in, give them my recipe, and they measure and crush the grains on the spot. They're always happy to answer questions and shoot the ****.

I'm lucky that our LHBS is owned by a young guy who would rather brew beer than have...uh...relations?

He and his one employee talk about nothing but beer.

That said, I've switched over to online ordering. Premilled, I round up my grain bill order to build up some inventory and these guys are great too. Stuff is on my doorstep on Friday afternoon each week and I spend the evening measuring out my recipes. They're cheaper than the local shop and between not having to pay tax and saving the 40 mile round trip in gas, well worth the shipping charges.

This is my typical Friday night...:ban:

Grain_Bill_1.JPG

You should definitely tell the owner about that employee. Who knows how many other customers have been lost by this guy.

I would also suggest subtly mentioning that you are going to be building a mil and buying in bulk and "I might not be in for a while...." in the same conversation that you mention the mishap with the employee. If the owner can put two and two together he might figure out they are loosing a customer and make things right.

Hiya, new here, but the question that the original poster asked is basically the same one I am looking for an answer to:

Can anyone recommend a good online store? I am getting ready to start brewing again & my fav (St Patricks of Texas) now only services the winery & brewery industry, so us homebrewers are SOL.

I am looking for someone who mills grains to order, keeps their yeasts in the fridge & their hops in the freezer. A quality place w/ a good selection & a decent website. (decent prices would be nice too!)

It will probably be awhile before I start buying in bulk, so I need a place that will sell single recipe-sized quantities.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--Steve (Atlanta, GA)

PS: Had written up a nice bio, but it timed out on me. Will rewrite it later.

autifon said:
Hiya, new here, but the question that the original poster asked is basically the same one I am looking for an answer to:

Can anyone recommend a good online store? I am getting ready to start brewing again & my fav (St Patricks of Texas) now only services the winery & brewery industry, so us homebrewers are SOL.

I am looking for someone who mills grains to order, keeps their yeasts in the fridge & their hops in the freezer. A quality place w/ a good selection & a decent website. (decent prices would be nice too!)

It will probably be awhile before I start buying in bulk, so I need a place that will sell single recipe-sized quantities.

--Steve (Atlanta, GA)

PS: Had written up a nice bio, but it timed out on me. Will rewrite it later.
I've had great luck with the Grape and Granary. I havn't been in the store yet but they claim grains are milled on order and everything is available in oz, lb and 5 or 10lb quantities. There bulk prices are a little expensive but the small quantity prices seem to be pretty good and I get them delivered next day with standard shipping, which means the orders go out same day.
It almost makes it unnecessary to have a grain mill and bulk storage.
Craig

Yuri_Rage said:
So, I placed an order for a 50 lb sack of 2-row and some Wyeast liquid yeast. I'm curious to see the results.
The results are in: STRIKE 3!!! I will no longer support my LHBS.

I still don't know what they're going to charge me for the 2-row, and I almost don't care. To quote the HBS folks: "We can get ANYTHING in just a few days." I placed my order last Friday. It's still not available for pickup. It won't be available for pickup until, "sometime next week." TWO F'ING WEEKS!?!? I could order from any place online and get it faster (probably cheaper...that remains to be seen). I wanted to brew this weekend. Guess it'll be, "just a few days" longer...

Be done with them. Go on-line. I just got confirmation. My order from Midwest is on my front doorstep. I ordered it Monday night.

A 10 gallon batch with delivery was still $11 cheaper than local HBS. Plus I didn't have to make the 30 mile round trip and take 1 1/2 hours out of my day.

autifon said:

--Steve (Atlanta, GA)

Steve, if you are in Atlanta you should check out Beer Necessities it is a local shop (no need to order online) that will mill to your order, and have reasonable prices for just about everything you need. They are super nice there as well. I get everything from them.

Dang. So many bad stories about LHBS's. I've got a great one real close to where I live in Overland Park. The people in there are always helpful, and always happy to see someone that likes to brew. They're always willing to help with recipe formulation (look over the recipe and see if anything is totally out of whack), and help me remember if I forget something totally stupid, like my yeast.

There is another one not too far from where I work that I don't much care for. They are well enough stocked and would be able to get my grain bill right I'm sure, but I've been in twice and they don't know a thing about what they sell.

The first one I mentioned is why I don't buy online. I've found a great shop that likely needs the business to keep up, and they're helpful to boot. The second one, I've been in twice, and if that were my only option, I'd buy online everytime.

Cheese und Krackers! This makes me feel fortunate to live in Austin, home of the Famous Austin Home Brew Supply. They sent an email out to the local homebrew club here.

Hello all! We are excited to have representatives from White Labs and
Wyeast in the store next week. Please come out and meet the yeast
experts!

On Friday April 20th at 7:30pm, Dr. Chris White will be in our store
representing the company he founded! Come and meet a legend!

On Saturday April 21st at 1pm, we will have a representative from
Wyeast on hand to answer any questions you might have.

Please pass the word about these two exciting events!

p.s. Anyone who purchases an AHS recipe, or "Our Version" recipe will
receive a free yeast on the day the representative is in store.

Is that SWEET or what?

Awww all u guys in the US r so lucky, u can easily get stuff online, without having to worry about ridiculous prices of shipping, everything is so much cheaper... *sigh* Not to mention the fact that u guys can get those turkey fryer things if u wanna go AG. Sorry to hear about all those problems with your LHBSs, my closest "local"HBS is now like 25mins by car away - I guess it's not too bad, but I haven't yet been there yet (cos my old HBS closed up shop :(, they weren't that great though so I'm over it) hopefully they actually sell grain, and not just kits and a little bit of equipment, like most of the stores in Auckland.

I think I need a beer... but it's only 10:58am... I guess in a few hours it'll be socially acceptable, haha.

Back