Forgot to add brown sugar to Amber during boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siruso

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just brewed my first beer, a Scottish ale which turned out delicious and am on to my sophomore effort.
So I brewed a basic amber the other day using a recipe from my LHBS and it called for an addition of brown sugar during the boil (don't remember the amount, I'm at work now). The guy was like "don't forget the brown sugar its really important". So of course I forgot. Anyway can I just boil it up like priming sugar, let it cool and just add it to the fermenter? I'm worried that not only will some important flavor notes be missing but also that the alcohol content will be lower because of the lack of sugar.

Thanks in advance!

You should be fine boiling the sugar and adding it to the fermenter. If you use too much water boiling the sugar you may end up watering your beer down a little and getting a lower ABV anyway but if the flavor is important I wouldn't worry about that. You will have a tasty but slightly lower ABV beer.

:mug:

Thanks for the response,

I know adding more water to the fermenter would lower the ABV but wouldn't the addition of a bunch of new fermentable sugar raise it back up?

Sure you can add it later.

In fact it is something that I do with some of my Belgian brews all the time. Let the beer ferment for a few days, them boil up the sugar with just enough water to get it to dissolve, cool and then add it to the fermenter. The fermentation will take off again.

I'll second what the others have said. I will however interject on it being "really important". Brown sugar in a Sottish ale seems a little out of place.

It's an amber not a scottish, the scottish was the one before this. Sorry for the confusion.

Ok, I'm boiling up the sugar right now (it was 8oz btw) and I'll let it cool and add it in a bit.

Thanks everyone!

Back