is this infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechyDork

Dork of all Tech
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed this wheat beer over a year ago. when I first tasted it after three weeks in the bottle it had a "tang" to it. so I put them in the closet and forgot about them. I put a few in the fridge three days go. opened one today and it was instant foam. the whole bottle foamed out until it was empty. all three that I opened did the same thing. is this a sign of infection or over carbonation?

I brewed this wheat beer over a year ago. when I first tasted it after three weeks in the bottle it had a "tang" to it. so I put them in the closet and forgot about them. I put a few in the fridge three days go. opened one today and it was instant foam. the whole bottle foamed out until it was empty. all three that I opened did the same thing. is this a sign of infection or over carbonation?

It could be either. I had a batch of raspberry wheat once where every 10-12th bottle would be a gusher and the others were fine. I chalked it up to not mixing my priming sugar into the beer well enough prior to bottling.

I would open a few more and if they ALL are gushers then it is likely an infection.

its not gaurenteed, but sometimes in infected batches you'll notice a light white ring along the top of the beer in the bottle.

didn't notice a white ring in the bottles, but i opened three last night and all three were gushers. I also noticed a very bread type smell coming from them. I will chill a few more and try them before i start dumping them all out.

I have a 100% wheat beer that after 6 months in the bottle has developed higher carbonation than intended. in other words... they're gushers. but it's simple over carbonation. try chilling them down for 24-48 hours and get them real cold. see if the gushing is lower. you can also start pouring into a glass as soon as you open them and reduce the gushing. tasting is how you'll tell if they're infected.

Is the "tang" getting worse as time goes on?

nm, just saw you haven't tasted it...

Put a couple in the fridge for a few days. When opening, lightly lift the very edge of the cap and attempt to let the carbonation out gradually. When it looks like the foam has subsided (if it was foaming,) you can then open it and give a taste.

I am going to throw a couple more in the fridge for a few days and then try to do a taste test. I will report back next week with the results.

Could be either, could be both, Put a glass under the bottle catch some and taste it.

Latest posts

Back