Iodophor BTF vs Starsan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasmeyer

Reaction score
Is leftover residue on brewing equipment from no-rinse Iodophor BTF or Starsan safer for consumtion? I know the FDA says the ratios we are using are safe, but I don't always trust the FDA and do plan on drinking large quantities of homebrew in the future. I have used both sanitizers and feel the Starsan leaves more residue than the BTF. I have also rinsed my no-rinse sanitizer residue with boiled and cooled H2O but have read posts here that suggest not to do this. Opinions?

No rinse means no rinse.....that simple, whether you trust it or not...

And the residue is safe and normal dillution, again whether you think so or not.

Since they are "wet contact" you WANT to put your beer over the residue.

There's not really a debate about it either, it's not a versus competition, it's not the superbowl of sanitizers :D they are both excellent and I alternate between them. And they currently are the only two FDA approved ones for homebrewing.

There'sa lot of good info, tips and links to the podscast on both of them here.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/?highlight=sanitizer+question

And the "residue" of the starsan actually becomes yeast nutrient.....

A few PPM of trace iodine in beer is beneficial. After you sanitize and you have a few teaspoons of properly diluted (as instructed) idophor still in the bucket after sanitizing, no problem.

If you follow instructions on dilution, a few teaspoons of properly diluted idophor in 5 gallons of beer won't effect you anymore than eating a few grains of iodized salt. - unless you have a medical problem and sensitive to iodine.

From a medical dictionary:
Iodized salt -- table salt with iodine added -- is the main food source of iodine. Seafood is naturally rich in iodine. Cod, sea bass, haddock, and perch are good sources. Kelp is the most common vegetable seafood that is a rich source of iodine. Dairy products also contain iodine. Other good sources are plants grown in iodine-rich soil.

A few PPM of trace iodine in beer is beneficial. After you sanitize and you have a few teaspoons of properly diluted (as instructed) idophor still in the bucket after sanitizing, no problem.

Are there also any benefits of trace amounts of the chemicals in Starsan? Comparing the two, are trace amounts of Iodine better for consumtion than trace amounts of Starsan?

There won't BE trace amounts of starsan...like I said, the yeast consume it

Listen, make it easy on yourself, go to the sanitizer questions thread I linked, and listen to the podcasts from the creators of both products...that way you can get the readily available answers to your very common questions, from the horse's mouths.

Can StarSan be used for Cornelius kegs? Or must I use Iodophor? Got my first keg setup today, all brand new, and want to keg my APA for Christmas. I have StarSan and Chemipro but no Iodophor

Back