Weekend Brew Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing Biermunchers Centennial Blonde and Yoopers House Pale Ale this weekend.
The Centennial Blonde has a ferm temp of 68 degrees and the HPA shows 62 degrees.
-Would it be ok to ferm both at 64 degrees? I do not rack to a secondary as I leave in primary for 3 weeks then bottle. Would this be acceptable for both of these recipes? Note: I only brew 1 gallon batches at the moment.

-The HPA shows to dry hop for a week. Could I simply dry hop at the beginning of the 3rd week? I've never dry hopped before so just asking to make sure I get it right.

Those are just recommended temps that those brewers use as a rule fo thumb for their recipe. Ive used the yeasts in those extensively in the past and any temperature in the 60s will work fine. Id shoot for the low 60s personally since i measure ferm temps with a stick on thermometer so the actual fermentation temp is probably 2 degrees higher or so.

Dry hopping doesnt have to be complicated. Anywhere from 10-4 days or so before bottling toss in your dry hops. Either in a bag or not, itll eventually settle to the bottom. Whole hops float ont eh top though and usually need a weight to hold them down. The most important part it to toss them in and seal it up before too much o2 exposure

Thank you. Kinda figured as much. I'll shoot for 61 or 62 degrees for at least the first week then gradually increase to the upper 60's to finish before bottling.

Those are just recommended temps that those brewers use as a rule fo thumb for their recipe. Ive used the yeasts in those extensively in the past and any temperature in the 60s will work fine. Id shoot for the low 60s personally since i measure ferm temps with a stick on thermometer so the actual fermentation temp is probably 2 degrees higher or so.

Dry hopping doesnt have to be complicated. Anywhere from 10-4 days or so before bottling toss in your dry hops. Either in a bag or not, itll eventually settle to the bottom. Whole hops float ont eh top though and usually need a weight to hold them down. The most important part it to toss them in and seal it up before too much o2 exposure

I don't currently have a hop sock so I would have to toss them in loose. Since they float will the effect be the same as using a hop sock?

Are the pellet hops? Those should settle while whole leaf always floats. Either way, youll still get the dry hop aroma. Its just you wonder how much you dont get if half of the hop surface area isnt in contact with the beer at any given time...

Are the pellet hops? Those should settle while whole leaf always floats. Either way, youll still get the dry hop aroma. Its just you wonder how much you dont get if half of the hop surface area isnt in contact with the beer at any given time...

yes, pellet hops.

Back